Friday, April 28, 2006

Things that go unnoticed.

I was amazed today at just how we let the little things pass us by unnoticed.

You see, I was walking my mother out to her car this evening, with Byron, when I noticed that his beautiful white blonde hair was getting darker. It was no longer the white hair I was so used to, but a sandier blonde. I know to others it still looks very blonde, but to me, it had changed. How had I not noticed this?

Everyday he gets bigger, gains more character, becomes much cheekier; yet many of these changes, albeit subtle, go unnoticed.

We measured him the other day and he has grown to 94cms (such a tall boy). When he was 2 he was 89cms. So, he has grown 5cms in 7 months. Trevor put a t-shirt on him the other day, which oddly looked smaller then it had the last time he wore it. Maybe it just shrunk in the dryer. I suspect not - he had grown, and we had only just noticed.

I guess what I realised today, is that I need to pay attention to the little things – take more ‘notice’. I am not saying I don’t notice him, because I do. It’s more like, observing. That is, once in a while, take a step back and just look – become aware of the changes occurring before me.

No comments: