Friday, June 30, 2006

Stage 2: Nursery Completed

Today was de-day for Trevor who had promised he would:

1. Attend the Parents' Children's and Babies Expo with me.

2. Put the wall frieze up in the baby’s room.

I am proud to say that he lived up to his promises (albeit it was accompanied by a fair amount of winging, which I tried my dandiest to ignore) and the jobs were completed.

If you knew Trevor, you would understand how difficult it was for him to come to the Parents' Children's and Babies Expo (which he reckons should have been called the Mothers' and Babies Expo) as he hates doing anything I might find exciting (like shopping or looking at baby stuff).

This morning we went along to the Expo. I have been to the Expo for the last 3 years, but have never been when I was pregnant (much harder to dodge people and prams). I really enjoy going as you can pick up some great bargains and lots of free samples (which come in very handy at times). Plus I just love to look at baby stuff, and the expo has everything in the one spot (so you can understand Trevor’s pain!).

Today’s Expo was no different to the others I have been too – just newer products. I picked up a few great bargains along the way, like an Avent "Welcome to the World" gift set for $10, which are normally $35. By the time we were leaving, there were only about 3 left. That’s the beauty with going on the first day – you get the pick of all the bargains!

Trevor and I left, sample bags and purchases in hand (well mostly in Trevor’s hand – lets face it that is the main reason for my taking him!) after approximately 2 hours of dodging people and prams – hundreds of prams!

When we got home I ducked out again to do some ‘baby shopping’ (you are thinking...what more could she need to look at!). I had to pick up Byron’s new Maxi Rider car seat and a cot mattress for the baby. I knew where I was getting them from so it was just a matter of going to pay and pick them up.

We took the convertible car seat out of the car and put the new Maxi Rider in for Byron. We had discussed it with him previously and had taken him to test out his new seat. He was extremely happy with the arm rests, but the cup holders took first prize. We also let him know that he would be changing positions in the car; with his new position now ‘behind mummy’. When I picked him up from kindy he was super excited about the new seat, for which I made sure I took along a drink bottle so he could test drive his new and exciting cup holders; unsurprisingly that went down a treat.

Now to promise #2...the infamous wall frieze which had waited so long to meet the wall.

When we unwrapped the rolls we were a little disappointed to see they weren’t self adhesive as first thought. They were the old school rolls that had to be cut into strips and dipped in warm water for 20 seconds. Both Trevor and I weren’t at all happy with this scenario, so off to Bunnings Trevor went to see if there was a better option. 20 minutes later he retuned with border glue that you could just paint on the back. This would have to do; and that it did.

After approximately 2 hours the frieze and wall were fused for eternity (or until we take it down). If I do say so myself, it looks great! Its stark contrast to what Byron had in his room reinforces the reality that Lily will be arriving soon. This reality was especially so when I set up the cot with all the bedding.

I had planned to complete the whole nursery today but after the big day I had, I just didn’t have the energy. Stage 2 is complete though. All that’s left is some rearranging, and some attention to the finer details (stage 3) which I plan to complete this weekend. For now, I have completed at least one corner of the room…


No comments: