Thursday, June 22, 2006

Clumsy Klutz

So far today, I have kicked my little toe whilst going to the toilet this morning (which is bruised and painful – I think it might be broken); banged and scratched my knuckle (which was bleeding and weepy); and I have a tooth ache (I think it is time for the dentist) – Yes, yes I hear the violins playing!

Today, I noticed that I am more clumsy then usual; not clearing doorways, walkways and just objects around – struggling to get up and struggle to get down. I suspect it is pregnancy related, in fact I know it is pregnancy related (I did a little bit of GOOGLE research). Here is what I came up with...

Is it normal to feel clumsy during pregnancy?

Yes. Unfortunately, feeling graceful and dextrous aren't part of the pregnancy package (you say?). You'll probably feel clumsiest in the last trimester ( huh, I just started the 3rd trimester this week - gee I didn't miss a beat - right on schedule!), but this feeling subsides after delivery. (I should hope it subsides...imagine living like this for the rest of your life! Although Trevor might say I am still suffering the affects from my pregnancy with Byron.)

This clumsiness should come as no surprise if you consider what your body's going through: You're carrying more weight, your centre of gravity has changed with your growing uterus, and your fingers, toes, and other joints are all loosening due to pregnancy hormones (I wonder if the loosening in my toe joint accounts for its contact with the duchess this morning?)

Can I do anything to overcome this awkwardness?

Not really. Simply knowing that you're not as co-ordinated as usual helps (duh!). Watch out for wet, icy, or uneven surfaces when walking, and don't carry anything that you can't safely drop (guess that means I can’t carry my kid?). And remember, clumsiness is only a temporary, pregnancy-related condition. Apparently, if you still feel clumsy after pregnancy, you can blame it on new baby fatigue, but after that, well, you're on your own!

So as you can see above, apparently my clumsiness is completely normal. I just hope today isn’t an indication of what tomorrow will bring (I really need my toes to walk!).

***************************************************************************
By way of an update on my insurance claim, I was advised this afternoon that payment (up until 30 June 2006) will be processed as soon as possible. Needless to say, Trevor and I are feeling over the moon that something has finally gone our way (financially) .

No comments: