Thursday, June 08, 2006

Living on Air!

Why are toddlers, or should I say little people, such fussy eaters? Now Byron is pretty good when it comes to breakfast (for which he loves Sultana Bran and Porridge – not together) and lunch too (he has sandwiches, yoghurt and some fruit). He gets his calcium stables from Kraft singles, milk, plus the yoghurt, so there is no trouble there.

However, mention the word M.E.A.T and there lies the problem. He has the occasional fish finger, hardly eats red meat of any kind (except maybe mince – does that count?) and just forget about chicken. This makes dinner somewhat of a nightmare.

Tonight, I cooked chicken enchiladas and served it with salad. He just refused to even put them in his mouth. All he wanted were the "crunchies" (croutons) from the top of the salad. Now the enchiladas weren’t hot so there was no excuse there. He just wouldn’t even try it! This is the story with most of the dinners I cook – I serve up my dinner along with Trevor’s and then a mini version for Byron. 15 minutes later, Trevor and my dinners are gone but what a surprise - Byron’s looks nearly the same as it did when I served it up.

I recently read that children are naturally slow to accept new tastes and textures, and that parents may have to present a food 10 to 15 times before they'll finally give it a try. OMG 10 – 15 times!!! I could nearly feed Ethiopia by the time his taste buds come around.

I try not to worry about it too much because I know he is eating a decent amount of food. He may be lacking a bit in iron but hey what can I do about it, short of forcing it down his throat.

I have come to realise that the old age adage that toddlers and young children can live on air to be so very true. If I look on the bright side, air is cheap, easy to maintain and there is hardly any cooking involved. What’s not to love about that?

****************************************************************************

Re update on insurance claim...

My doctor rang me yesterday and informed me that she had received the request from the insurance company for further information. I am fairly confident that she completed the report (given she was attending to their request when she rang me) and returned it today. I guess now I just have to wait for an answer; hopefully I will get a positive one by the end of next week.

No comments: