Friday, June 23, 2006

World Cup Pt2

I was one of the millions of Australians today who lumbered out of bed at an ungodly hour (well for me anyway) to watch Australia take on Croatia in the World Cup . For the record, there was no way I was staying up til 2am to watch the game against Brazil the other day.

Last night I told Trevor to wake me up at 5.30am (mid way through the first half). So there I am in bed this morning, when I hear some cheering and carrying on coming from downstairs. I roll over and check my phone – its 5.40am! Huh, I said wake me up at 5.30am! I saunter on downstairs to find Trevor out the back (having a cigarette); it still dark and freezing. I hop on the lounge with my blanket and watch the game.

When Trevor comes back inside he is shocked to see me (lets face it I don’t get up early these days – I just can’t function - so the house is his domain at this time). I asked him why he didn’t wake me up. He responded with "you said to wake you up at 6.00am for the second half". As usual he heard wrong!

To cut a long story short...the game was great . Although, I thought it would be enough to send me into labour I was that stressed. If I chewed finger nails, I reckon I would be lucky to have any left. That being said, I guess the stress and anxiety makes for a more enjoyable game (OK I’m just saying that because Australia won; if they lost it would have been a different story).

It wouldn’t be a complete entry without mentioning Trevor’s antics. Well to be honest he seemed to be a lot calmer this time around. I think I was more stressed. There was the usual banter and cheering but none of the angst (especially towards me) that was present in the game against Japan (which according to him was more imperative to win).

Byron got up towards the end of the second half – when Croatia was winning. He was disappointed because he wanted to watch "The Bear in the Big Blue House", which is what he normally watches when he gets ready to go to kindy. After a while though, he started yelling "Socceroos, go Socceroos" and "good shot!" at the TV.

Trevor informs me that he will be going out to watch the game against Italy (a game that starts at 1am). I queried his position on working. He informs me that he will still be going to work...OK I guess I will have to wait and see.

No comments: