Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008 Pt 1

I can’t believe mother’s day is here again. I was just thinking about my first mother’s day…

For a start I was 4 years younger, less stressed, better looking and well only had one kid!





Now I have kids…am 2 weeks shy of 30, and the most stressed I’ve ever been in my life. Alas, I digress.

It’s mother’s day…my 5th. It’s my mother’s 31st. I couldn’t imagine 31 years as a mother. 31 years of love; 31 years of stress; 31 years of laughter; 31 years of worry. I couldn’t imagine life any other way though and I’m sure my mum’s the same – what’s not to love about me…he he he.

Byron has been referring to mother’s day as ‘valentine’s day’ for the last 2 weeks. It doesn’t matter how many times we correct him, he still can’t get it right. Anyway, I woke up to him saying “happy valentines day”. Wide eyed with anticipation for some gift giving Byron proceeded to pull some presents out of a bag. First up he handed me some chocolate milk – yes you read right…chocolate milk, 600mls worth. I looked at Trevor with some confusion…I mean what the hell are my kids giving me chocolate milk for mother’s day. Trevor proceeded to explain that when asked what I loved or what my favourite things were Byron commented...“chocolate and chocolate milk”.

If I can digress for a moment - to explain the situation with the chocolate milk? I took the kids to the supermarket the other week to pick up a few things. Anyway, while we were there I walked past the chocolate milk and thought I’d get one for the kids and I. Lily got her own, Byron did and of course me too. Some where out of that experience Byron has gained the perception that chocolate milk is a favourite staple of mine. Don’t get me wrong, I love chocolate milk but honestly I can go months and months without buying one.

I also got a big box of ferrero rochers (yummo). Byron was correct in his assumption that chocolates were a favourite of mine. The kids were particularly excited to be eating chocolate (and drinking chocolate milk) for breakfast.

Next I got a lovely work blouse and beads (Nanna’s gift in disguise – she does that all the time…buys a gift and pretends it’s from the kids (and/or Trevor bought it) but I can tell every time. Bless her.

It wouldn’t be mother’s day without pyjamas. I got some extra special ones this year. I got ‘hello kitty’ pyjamas not because I love hello kitty (because to be honest she’s not my style) but because they looked like Miffy (the story book character). Another Byron suggestion. Bless him.

Finally, I’ve said it before, but one of the things I love about mother’s day is the home made gifts and cards. Each year I get something special. This year Byron made me a heart magnet for the fridge and Lily, some home made bickies. Lily made me the cutest little card. It was a teapot shape (colour courtesy of Lily) with a tea bag stuck inside and it says…

“I thought as it was Mother’s Day,
you may like a cup of tea.
Please sit back and just relax
And have this one on me”


If only I drank tea. Just joking. I love it (the card that is). All the kindy stuff is so precious.

Trevor picked out the cutest card from the kids this year. It reads…

“Dear Mummy,

Thank you for tucking me in, picking me up and showing me how.
Thank you for teaching me to do things on my own, and believing in me when I try.
Thank you for hugging me and loving me and doing special things to make me happy.
Thank you for being a wonderful mummy”


Byron signed the card...‘To mummy Love Byron Lily’ all by himself. Sigh.

I love mother’s day.


(The chocolate milk which Byron desperately wanted to drink)


(Lily and my heart magnet)

1 comment:

Kylie said...

Awwwww how cute was Byron back then?! And Mummy was looking great too! You had me tricked for a minute there, but then I realised it was a blast from the past! Just think - next year you'll wake up for Mother's Day in your lovely new home!!