Monday, September 15, 2008

Report Card Time

Disclaimer – this is one of my must blog entries from…ummm…a month or so ago. I’ve been carrying Byron’s little Mid-Year Report around for ages in the hope that I might get a chance (god knows what I was thinking) to record its contents. I guess it’s better late then never, so here it is.

If a preschooler’s report card was capable of containing straight ‘As’ then no doubt Byron’s would be it. He is the smartest little cookie going around town and I have proof!!!

His Mid-Year Report card, which proudly sits beside me as I type, has what could only be akin to straight ‘As’. Ok, admittedly I may be somewhat extending the truth some, but he is consistent and achieving all that a four year old can possibly do in his pre-academic year. If ‘U’ (for usually) is the highest ‘grade’ going around Montessori then Byron’s ‘the man’ for he has achieved the pinnacle of what preschool has to offer. He has achieved straight ‘Us’.

The grading (opps…reporting) criteria is made of the ‘usually’, ‘sometimes’ and ‘with help’. So, it’s safe to say Byron is usually doing what he is supposed to. I don’t suppose there is a preschooler in the land that could attain the illustrious status of 'always' – at least not any I’ve met.

Byron USUALLY really enjoys:

• Dramatic play
• Blocks
• Puzzles
• Sandpit
• Climbing
• Games
• Books/stories
• Collage
• Painting
• Drawing
• Music

He USUALLY follows the rules and listens when others speak.

He USUALLY looks after his belongings and is happy at kindy.

He USUALLY shares an idea with someone else and says please, thankyou and excuse me.

He USUALLY helps at tidy up time; helps his teacher; and helps a friend. He has made lots of friends.

He USUALLY tries hard to share things.

In terms of Byron’s Montessori skills he has ‘Attained’:

• Work to 10 - maths
• Work to 1000 - maths
• Colour work - sensorial
• Textures - sensorial
• Sound - sensorial
• Taste - sensorial
• Sounds - sensorial
• 3 letter phonetic words – beginning reading
• 4 letter phonetic words – beginning reading

He is ‘Progressing’ with:

• work to 9999 - maths
• addition - maths
• subtraction - maths
• time - maths
• visual work - sensorial
• shapes - sensorial
• mass - sensorial
• grammar – beginning reading
• beginning reading – beginning reading
• phonetic farm – beginning reading

According to his teacher, “Byron has made excellent progress this year. He is always interested, motivated and exited to learn”.

Byron has truly come out of his shell this year. I was terribly worried about his concentration levels and his in ability to focus. But, with a change of rooms and teacher he has truly blossomed and I just love watching him learn. I love how he sounds out the letters and tries to read what ever he can, when ever he can. He is a sponge sucking it all up. It’s so exciting to be a part of.

So, only one more Montessori report card to go and then my little guy is off to school; big school. Sigh.

I’m just so proud of my little gorgeous, pumpkin pie!


3 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so proud of my gorgeous nephew. He is such a clever boy!! xx

MacPhee Family said...

That's my nephew alright. The smartest little man I know - have ever known! I wouldn't expect anything else from such a clever little cookie. Aunty Jo is so proud of you Byron, I love you heaps and miss you always xoxox

Melza said...

What a clever little dude!