Saturday, November 08, 2008

Men and Sport: the prequel

As I sit here writing this entry, Byron sits in the TV room (commandeering the room as he seems to do a lot these days) watching the ROAR play – that’s Brisbane’s A-League soccer team if you weren’t aware. I can hear him calling out stuff to the TV; chatting to himself nervously waiting for them to score.

“Good try Roar...It went straight over the goal”

“Good Brisbane goal keeper”

“Why haven’t you scored yet?”

I didn’t realise it started so early – the whole men and sport thing. I mean the kid has been bugging me since 3:00pm – the time Trevor left to go to the game – to watch it... “Is it 7:00 yet?!”; “What time is it?!”; “Is the Roar on yet?!”

Arggh!

This isn’t the first time he’s been interested in watching the soccer either. For the last few weeks he’s wanted to watch anything soccer related. He wants to watch the women playing as well as the men. He wants to watch the Premier League as well (UK). I mean come on already...it’s getting ridiculous. The kids becoming a tad obsessed. And where does he get it from...one guess in that department.

I watch Byron watching Trevor and his reactions to the games. He literally copies Trevor's emotions; his mannerism; everything. Whatever Trevor says, he repeats – even those things he really shouldn’t be!!! I’ll give Trevor some credit though, he even thinks Byron’s a tad obsessed. He would rather watch Fox Sports sometimes then the kids’ channel. The other day he had some obscure sport on and we had to tell him to put it on the kids’ channel or turn it off. He obliged begrudging.

The last time we enrolled Byron in a sporting endeavour, aside from swimming, it didn’t go down to well. If it were now I think it would be a different story. If Byron kicking the ball around the house is evidence of anything, he’s ready.

I think the sooner we get him out there playing the game for real, the better it will be! Perhaps I'll get my TV back. He’ll have to wait til next year’s season though. It's too late this year. Plus, he’ll have to wait for us (sorry...Trevor) to decide which club Byron will play for.

God help me...it's half time and Byron's frustrated because no teams have scored yet...on that note, it's time for Byron to go to bed!

No comments: