Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I just went shopping...

They got in contact with me late last week – they told me I could go shopping at Canon – Woohoo! What a photographer’s dream. Yesterday I decided what it was I wanted to get. Well actually, I had spoken with Canon last week and decided that the Canon 5D MKII is what I’ll be getting. My new baby!!!


Isn’t she gorgeous?!


It’s funny though...and you’ll laugh at me...but $5,000.00 is simply not enough money when it comes to all the equipment I would like. Frankly, it barely scapes the surface! Well it got me the camera body (no lens) but if I had my way there would be at least five other major items on my list (mainly lenses) the cost of which I would hate to hazard a guess.

It’s expensive being a photographer.

Anyway, whilst I couldn’t get all the things I desired, I did get my number one desire...a new camera. After I took into account the $RRP of the 5D ($4,299.00) I was left with $700.00 to spend. It was know where near enough for a lens, although I could spend more if I wanted to - it would just mean that I had to chip in over the $5K amount, so I decided to steer clear of that department.

I have been more then frustrated on a number of occasions over the mere fact that I don’t have a little point and shoot camera; you know a little one that you can just chuck in your bag and run. So many times I’ve gone to functions and wished I had something a little more innocuous and easy to carry. What better thing to use my money for then to get me an itty bitty camera! In addition to the camera (cause it wasn’t $700) I decided to go for some underwater housing. Underwater housing isn’t cheap and most definitely something I wouldn’t ordinarily buy. I thought what the heck – not my money (Oh I love this feeling – guilt free shopping is fantabulous).

So there you have it...my winning prizes; my cameras. Don't you think 'gold' is appropriate in this situation - I promise I'm not gloating?

5 comments:

MrsPfeiff said...

Wahhhh I'm so jealous!!! Hehe good shopping, Nic, such good shopping!!!!!!!!

*mwah* xxx

Kirsten said...

Oh, you must be so excited!

So what digital SLR would you recommend for someone who has no clue? I do have a film SLR, with 2 lenses (28-80 & 100-300) Would it be worth it sticking to a Canon so I could use these lenses???

Thanks

Lauren said...

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm very jealous, makes my 5d look like a baby!

Melza said...

Well done - wise shopping (unlike me.... I never shop wisely!)

Have fun with your new toys!

xo

Kylie said...

Wow they look just lovely! Now the waiting game begins until you can get your hands on the 5D!! xox