Monday, October 20, 2008

It's all starting now...

It’s really a matter of weeks now until Byron starts school. Well ok, perhaps not weeks...more like a few months. However long it is, there’s no doubt it will fly by.

It’s getting closer – that’s all that matters. This was evident today when Trev and I visited his soon to be school. We had our very first parent teacher interview (although I can’t be sure we’ll get the same teacher yet). Sigh. I wonder if it’ll be the first of many?

The school we’ve chosen for Byron is the same primary school I attended in my final year (we moved towards the end of my primary education). Walking through the court yard where we used to stand for parade was quite surreal. It felt like nothing had changed…from the old bench chairs to the hopscotch painted on the ground. It literally felt like I stepped back in time – 18 years past.

Don’t get me wrong…the centre of the school was like a page out of a history book but the school surrounds had changed a lot. There are now 5 prep classrooms, one big sandpit and a sweet little playground. My son will soon be playing in that sandpit, sliding down the slide and opening up a whole new world of learning in one of those five classrooms. A whole new world will be born for him in those school grounds and it all begins in just a few months.

I’m really excited about Prep but I’m nervous about the next chapter. Partly because it’s letting go of that dependant little person and partly because it means I’m getting older – I will be the mum of a school aged child!

Byron didn’t come along today…there will be more of that next month when we take him along for his first taste of prep. I can't wait...or can I???

No comments: