Wednesday, September 20, 2006

20 Questions

It has officially begun – that point in a child’s life when they want answers to everything. It all started the other day when we (Bryon and I) were driving along in the car. Byron enquired as to the reason we have trees. I responded without delay by saying "they help us breath by filtering the oxygen" (like a not yet 3 year old could process that answer). He seemed happy with the answer, promptly moving on to his next question "why are there clouds", followed with "what is high up in the sky" ie. What can ‘fly’?

Those questions are fine...easy to answer. It’s those ‘hard to answer’ questions that I am dreading the most. Today, I was on the end of one of those questions. In the bath tonight, Byron asked me "who maked me?". It took me a minute to process the question (was he asking who made him) during which time I said nothing. He then promptly asked the question again "who maked me?". There was no mistaking that he wanted to know in somewhat uncertain terms, where he came from. I responded with "I made you...in my tummy like I made Lily". He seemed ok with that answer although I imagine that as he gets older my around about answers won’t suffice (...I wonder if there are any books out in the market place that provide creative answers to those awkward questions...).

No comments: