Friday, September 15, 2006

My Speech....

Tomorrow is my besty's wedding...the one I thought I might ruin by either not showing up - ie having my baby, or not fitting the bridesmaid dress because I was too pregnant. I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to know that 1) I will be attending the wedding in my capacity as maid of honour and 2) the dress fits. All I need worry about now is giving my speech and making sure my boobs don't leak everywhere!

Here is my speech...

Today I am speaking on behalf of all the bridesmaids. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Nicole. I have had the great pleasure of knowing T for the last 12 years. For most of those 12 years I have considered her my very best friend and I’d like to think she considered me hers.

We would like to start off by saying Congratulations to T and J. We would also like to thank you both for asking us to be part of your special day (not that you really had much of a choice). It meant so much to me, and no doubt the other bridesmaids, to watch my best friend, marry the man of her dreams this afternoon.

We would also like everyone to join us in commending the best man and the groomsmen for their stellar performance today. You did an amazing job and we know the Bride & Groom truly appreciate all your support.

There are many people giving speeches today so we are going to keep it short. This is by no means a reflection on our feelings for T or J. On the contrary, there are so many things I (and all the bridesmaids) want to say and we know that there are not enough pages to fill or time to speak. So, we are going to break tradition a little bit and not say a speech about T and J but rather a poem to you both.

Wonderful Wedding Wishes

A girl dreams about her wedding
-that blissfully special day.
So much excitement and anxiety
Over what to do and say.

You've found your perfect man
Who loves and cherishes you.
Your loving vows unite your souls,
Creating one heart shared by two.

Marriage is a promise to compromise
No matter how great or small.
Though life is never perfect,
True love surpasses all.

Give freely and unconditionally.
Enjoy a life filled with mutual caring.
We wish you a wonderful marriage
With sweet joys that make life endearing.

As you enter this wonderful new time in your life,
When you make J lucky by becoming his wife,
We wish you all the happiness that the world can provide,
May good luck and fortune be always at your side.

May your marriage be happy, healthy and blessed,
Today and forever, we wish you nothing but the best.

To conclude, I came across a quote that I would like to share with you. I particularly like this quote, T, as it applies to you and J as a couple but it also equally applies to you and I as friends.


"As you sit side by side through this roller coaster of life remember to scream from the peaks, hold hands through the dips, laugh through the loop-the-loops and enjoy every twist and turn for the ride is better because you share it together."

No comments: