Thursday, September 07, 2006

No more hospital visits!

I am pleased to advise that the days of hospital visits are behind us...at least for the next 5 weeks anyway.

On Tuesday (5th September) we visited the hospital for the 4th time since we were discharged from hospital. This time it was for another ophthalmologist appointment and the ultrasound of Lily’s kidney.

The ophthalmologist was very happy with her eye indicating he didn’t think there would be any permanent damage – which was music to my ears. All we have to do now is continue with the drops 4 times a day for the next week. If she does get a similar infection in the not to distant future we are to bring her back.

The ultrasound went well. Although, Lily didn’t particularly like it – it seems she just hates being ‘exposed to the elements’.

Today, we had the follow up visit at the hospital (visit #5) to find out more about her dilation problem and the results of the ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed:

• The kidneys are normal in contour and texture for age.
• There is dilation of the pelvis on the left side (0.83cms)
• The left ureter is visible in the pelvis and appears to peristalses actively and collapse on screening.
• The right upper collecting system is also prominent with less marked dilation then the left (0.58cms)
• The right ureter appears normal.
• The bladder appears normal.

What does this all mean???? In short, the paediatrician noted it was good news. Particularly, she was really happy the dilation had reduced by half of what it was in utero (which was apparently more serious then we were led to believe). She noted that, if there was to be a problem, it appears it rests with the left side. At this stage, it looks like the valves connecting the bladder and the ureters are under developed. It is often the case that children will grow out of this at a later stage.

For now, the course of action will be to continue with the antibiotics (which will reduce the chances of urinary track infections). When Lily is 6 weeks old we will have to go back to the hospital for a MCU (Micturating Cysto-Urethrogram) – English: x-ray taken of the bladder and urethra whilst the patient urinates; uses dye. This test should enable the doctors to see exactly what the problem might be. We will then have a follow up appointment to discuss the results and what future action, if any, is required.

For now, it is just a matter of watching her closely to see that she doesn’t develop any urinary track infections.

I for one am extremely relieved that she is doing ok. Lets face it, things could have been a while lot worse with the eye infection and the dilation problem. If anything, visiting the children’s hospital this last week has made me appreciate the fact that I have 2 healthy happy children with no long lasting health problems. For that I am so very thankful.

Moving on...I might have mentioned this already...but gee my boobies are sore.

I visited the lactation consultant yesterday in the hope that maybe she could wave her magic wand and things would be peachy – wishful thinking on my part.

After flashing my boobs to a total stranger (the loss of dignity continues well after child birth) I was advised:

• My bra was well fitting (good to know)
• There didn’t appear to be any infections in the nipple (to my shock horror she noted Golden Staff loves a warm moist nipple!!!)
• I have good milk supply .

Examination of Lily’s mouth revealed good tongue control with no apparent jaw problems which would impede breast feeding.

During the consultation I feed Lily (on the left side for the first time in 2 days without the use of a nipple shield). For what it is worth, the feed didn’t go to bad (by that I mean, the pain wasn’t toe curling and there was no bleeding involved). It appears Lily attaches correctly then moves her lower jaw upwards closer to the nipple, which is causing all the pain and grazing of the nipples. I was advised to take her off each time she does this and then reattach her in the hope that we can 'retrain her' (so much for half hour feeds!).

I left the consultation feeling a whole lot more confident in my ability to breastfeed her. However, this completely disappeared when it came time to feed on the right side. For some reason, my right side seems to be more of a problem then the left. After an hour, I managed to feed her, however I was completely (as I imagine she was) unsatisfied with how things went. Things just went from bad to worse during the course of the day and night. I can tell you...starting a feed at 2.30am and finishing at 4.00am ain’t my cup of tea.

After much frustration on my part and Lily’s, tears and tantrums, I decided it was time to call the consultant again for a little bit of guidance (at that point I think I really needed some reassurance that it would be ok). In short she said breastfeeding is a ‘holistic’ exercise and frustration on both our parts isn’t helping at all. She noted feeds shouldn’t take any longer the one hour from start to finish. So in our case, she suggested that we try for half an hour (or until things get to frustrating) and if things fail that I should express and feed the remaining feed to her in a bottle. Alternatively, she suggested I stick with the nipple shields (at lest on the right breast) until things settle down.

I have taken her advice on board. Here's hoping my boobies get a reprieve shortly.

No comments: