Monday, September 25, 2006

Felt Pens and Nipple Vasospasm....

Byron is generally pretty good with his pencils; crayons and felt tip pens (although all but one of these is out of reach - basically, we just couldn’t trust a 2 year old to draw responsibly with felt tip pens whilst we were not around – at least crayons and pencils don’t mark surfaces too easily. A 2 year old psyche just can’t resist the urge to use those lovely bright pens.). He has never drawn on any walls or books; occasionally he might draw on the table (accidentally – or maybe not so) but generally he draws on the page he is supposed to. However, the last few days he has taken to drawing on himself.

As I might have mentioned, all but one (a nice royal blue felt tip pen) are out of his reach – don’t ask me why this one wasn’t put with the rest of them. This morning, whilst Trevor was getting ready for work and I was in bed feeding Lily, Byron decided to take it upon himself to draw, or should I say colour in his hands (especially his palms), arms and legs with the royal blue pen.

It’s funny because Trevor and I didn’t initially notice it...in fact it was probably half an hour or so before we did (I reckon our eyes must have been painted on). When Trevor did notice it, he didn’t get mad...he just told him to go and see his mother (you know...I won’t discipline but I will get your mother too). At first, Byron wouldn’t come near me, or show me any appendages for that matter. I asked what he had done and then he showed me his arms and hands, which were hiding behind his back. I didn’t get angry (in fact I was trying desperately not to laugh); I just said there would be no more ‘big boy pens’ for him if he couldn’t draw properly. He promptly burst into tears (full on tears) saying "I’m not mummy’s friend anymore!!!" over and over again. Meanwhile he was getting the royal treatment from his father (LOL "daddy’s my friend, mummy's not my friend").

Needless to say, it was bath time for Byron...



I couldn’t go past mentioning that Lily is 4 weeks old today – nearly a month!!! She is filling out well. She seems to be awake much more then she was a week ago, although her wake time wouldn’t consist of more then 3 to 4 hours. During that period however, she seems to be more alert and responsive to what you are saying - no smiles yet!!

She is still feeding every 3 hours (sometimes less) day and night (although sometimes I manage to get 4 hours at night, but not every night) . We are still struggling a little with the breast feeding, especially on the right side. Little Miss Lazy won’t open up her mouth very wide...I have to kinda pry her bottom jaw open with my finger.

I have noticed that on the right side I am suffering from 'Nipple Vasospasm' (Vasospasm occurs when blood vessels constrict (or tighten)). Apparently if you are suffering from this you may:

• feel an intense nipple pain, which some women describe as a burning and throbbing pain (yep I get this)
• notice the nipple or the tip of the nipple blanches or turns white (...and this; thankfully it turns back to its normal colour and doesn't remain white!)
• You may notice the signs and symptoms for a few seconds, minutes or even longer (...it usually lasts for 30 seconds at a time and with a few episodes after feeding)

Apparently one of the triggers for Vasospasm is poor attachment. The most common reason for nipple blanching is that the baby is compressing the nipple while nursing. This is obviously the cause in my situation seeing as Little Miss Lazy refuses to open up her mouth nice and wide which is therefore creating attachment dramas yet again. Dr Google says that applying some heat to the nipple (using a hair dryer or heat pack) after feeding will reduce the pain – Man I can’t wait till all these breast feeding dramas are over. Dr Google (what would we do without him?) also says that if the baby is putting on weight and the pain is manageable then it isn’t a major problem. I must admit that I prefer this vasospasm over cracked and bleeding nipples anytime!

No comments: