Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Night Sweats - Gross!

The first night I spent in hospital (the night I got induced) I woke up about 4 times sweating quite badly (especially around my neck, back, tummy, legs – hey everywhere). I thought it was those annoying plastic sheets on the hospital beds (you know the ones that protect the mattress from blood and the like) that was causing me to sweat profusely whilst sleeping. The following nights I spent in hospital (after delivery) were the same. Every time I woke up to feed (or because someone else’s baby was screaming) I felt disgustingly hot and not to mention, sweaty. I continued to think it was those darn hospital sheets, so I removed the plastic sheet thingy from the bed (yep took it off) thinking this would solve the problem. It didn’t – I still woke up sweating.

It goes without saying that I couldn’t wait to get home to my own bed, with my own sheets because OBVIOUSLY it was the hospital etc that was causing me to be so hot. Wrong...the sweating continued when I got home and has persisted every night since Lily was born. It wasn’t until I was reading a book about breastfeeding (research on my other problem area) that I came across a mention of night sweats. That’s when it clicked...I was suffering (or am suffering) from night sweats.

I had never heard or been told that you could suffer from night sweats after having a baby. I knew that it was normal to feel like you had a bun in the oven when pregnant, but not once the baby was cooked and out. Dr Google doesn’t really have a whole lot to offer on the subject. It does however shed a little bit of light on the issue (enough at least to know its normal and that I am not alone or suffering early menopause).

For those who don’t know...

What it is: Postpartum Sweating aka Night Sweats - The tendency to sweat like you’ve just run a marathon, even though you may be sitting still, or sleeping.

What causes it: Your hormones again, as they instruct your body to rid itself of all those extra fluids it was formerly using to nourish your baby. However, even after the water weight is gone, you may continue to sweat more than usual if you're nursing; theories suggest it is related to hormonal and metabolic changes associated with breastfeeding. Apparently, the emotional stress of new motherhood might cause you to sweat more, too, and though no one knows for sure, it's possible that the dramatic drop in estrogen that occurs right after delivery also contributes. Gee its nice to know there isn’t a definitive cause.

How long will it last: Postpartum sweating can last several weeks after birth, though it tends to last longer for breastfeeding women.

WOW...now that I know what it is, there is no ‘cure’ or treatment available and it will last for a little while longer, I guess I can rest easy – well try to anyway. Might try putting a towel on the bed; maybe the ceiling fan on; sleeping in the nud or just grinning and bearing it!!!

No comments: