Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Finding the Light

The one thing I loved about the old place was the lighting. There was so much 'natural light' about the place which was perfect for photography. Everywhere you turned there was lovely light streaming in the windows.

I love practically everything about my new house except one thing. I hate that it's so dark. The big open area is dark. The kids bedrooms are dark. I would say that 80% of the house is dark and it really urks me. I love light and airy, not dark and gloomy.

Before I moved in I had visions of light streaming into my windows...lots of lovely light, making it perfect for photography. How I was mistaken. It's a photographers nightmare.

It's so bad that we will have to, at some point when the finances allow, get some skylights put into the family room. I'm hoping that will create a more light and airy feel to the place.

In the meantime, don't get me wrong, there is light in some of the rooms (i.e playroom and media room - them being at the front of the house) and I try to soak up that light as much as I can. Unfortunately, the mountain of children's toys and the TV get in the way of any kind of photography. For about an hour there is just enough in my bedroom to get some half decent shots which is better then nothing. My poor kids! I'll be rounding them up at the same time just to get some snaps in before the light disappears.



3 comments:

MrsPfeiff said...

Lovely mate! You know how I struggle with lighting...and yet I never get them as good as this, you're a natural!

Especially the one of Lily. She is to die for and the shot is gorgeous - there is a mysterious feel to it somehow.

K x

Kylie said...

Beautiful matey! I didn't notice the lack of light when I visited, but I guess it was at night lol.

Penelope said...

Wow amazing photos! I wish I was as clever as you!