Thursday, July 24, 2008

Toast to the Bride

I finished my speech for the wedding. I hope it's ok. I hope my sister likes it. I never really know what to say in speeches - It's not my strong point. With a little inspiration I managed. I tried to be creative. I tried to make it as short as I could because God knows I think she has speeches coming out of her ears and lets face it knowbody wants to hear them all. Anyway, I'm happy with what I've written....

"Natalie, when you were first born, Mum told me I adored you. She said I wanted to hold you and feed you and kiss you every chance I got. I loved to rock you in your little rocker. Apparently, I couldn’t take my eyes off you. We were ‘mates’ instantly.

Then we got a little older and you started to annoy me. I couldn’t go anywhere without you following me along for the ride. You used to call us – Nathan and I – ‘kids’. ‘Kids’ this and ‘kids’ that. "Kids wait for me"! It was cute…but when you’re 8 and trying to be ‘cool’ in front of your older friends, then, well, it was so far from cute it wasn’t funny.

When quizzing mum about what things were like with you when we were young I was trying to get some ‘stuff’ to work with in this speech. Apparently though, there was no “if you cried, I got the blame” or “if we were fighting, I had to give in first”. There was no “hair pulling” or “black eyes (I saved that for Nathan!)”. I thought maybe, I might have tried to get rid of you or give you away when you were born but apparently ‘no such luck’.

We siblings were mates. Always mates and you were just known as the tag along with personality to burn.

Looking back now, as a mum myself with two littlies, for mum and dad’s sake, I’m grateful we were ‘good mates’; that there was no ‘sibling rivalry’. I guess I’m also grateful that I didn’t wish you left behind at the local shopping centre because; you started to come in handy when you were older. You were good for playing dolls with and of course you made the best slave.

As we’ve grown older, we’ve undoubtedly grown closer. That four and half year gap has whittled down to nothing. We share in the ups and downs of life as any friends do. I know I have a busy life, and that I’m not always there to help you when you need it most. Please know that I do try, although you might not think it at times. Just know that I love you and that you are the greatest sister in the world.

One of the things I love about you most and is of most importance to me now is the love that you share for your niece and nephew. Byron and Lily are so incredibly lucky to have an aunt like you. We don’t have a large family and you are ‘pretty’ much it when it comes to ‘local’ relatives And now, that you are marrying uncle Ross, who might I add the kids simply adore – 'Uncle Ross' this and 'Uncle Ross' that, it simply couldn’t get any better for my kids, which as you know when my kids are happy, I’m happy.

Today, on your wedding day, how beautiful you are in that gorgeous white gown. How happy you looked walking down the aisle. My little kid sister, now married to her childhood sweetheart. As I watch you tonight I wish I could bottle that love and joy oozing out of you; wrap it up with pretty paper and a bow, and give it to you as a wedding gift. Then you could take it out on a dismal day and be right back here, in this place, eating and laughing and dancing with everyone. But I don’t think you’ll need such a bottle. The reminders of this special day will be all around you: in the photo album on your coffee table, in the picture frame hanging on the wall, and in the shining band you wear on your finger every day. Use these reminders as a source of comfort and strength during the hard times. And let them bring a brighter smile to your faces in times of happiness.

Natalie and Ross, always remember this special day. Remember how you feel right now. Let that feeling guide you through a long and happy life. Congratulations!

...and can I have some more nieces or nephews soon!!!!"

3 comments:

MrsPfeiff said...

What a beautiful speech - I know you are proud of your sister, what a lovely speech for her big day.

I can't wait hear all about it!

Not long now til we get to hang out again, I can't wait...

K xxx

Kylie said...

Such a beautiful and heartfelt speech mate! I particularly like the last line. hehehe!

Becca said...

Oh damn, here I am sitting at work, reading your speech and tears welling up in my eyes. Bugger! As an older sister myself, that speech struck a chord with me. It's hard watching our little sister's grow up! I love the photo's and she's a very lucky girl to have you as a BIG sister!