Monday, July 28, 2008

What fairytales are made of...

As promised, here are some more snapshots of the wedding which I’ve managed to find from all over the place! Its times like these I wish I had a little ‘hand bag’ sized camera so I could capture what I wanted to capture. Oh well. I used one of the bridesmaid’s little point and shoot cameras to capture as much as I could…now to just wait for the CD so I can have fun processing them (and I’ll be sure to post a heap more – you’ll be sick of wedding photos by the time I’m done!).

Honestly, I’m lost for words as to what to say about the wedding. How’s that…me lost for words!? It simply was, aside from my own of course, the best wedding I’ve ever been too (and I’ve been to plenty of great ones). The atmosphere was second to none. Those Greeks sure know how to party! From the weather, to the ceremony, to the reception - everything went like a dream. It was as perfect a day as one could wish for.

It really was what fairytales are made of...

First things first, the weather here in Brisbane has been totally crapola the last week or so, so to wake on Saturday with perfect winter weather was amazing. We all thought it would be one of those rainy, cold, stay in bed kinda days. I know Natalie was worried about it the previous week – who wouldn’t. Isn’t that a bride's worst fear…that it will rain on her wedding day, even if it is supposed to be good luck. It was such a pleasant surprise to have beautiful weather especially when we were wearing strapless dresses and Lily, a little sleeveless dress.

Aside from being a little pushed for time at the end – it took one hour to put Natalie’s dress on…something to do with the hoop not being straight – which prolonged the bridesmaids getting ready and so on. In the end though, all was great and we made it to the ceremony on time. We travelled in style in a stretch territory. It wasn’t the ‘elegant’ limo Natalie had ordered – apparently it was an upgrade that she wasn’t happy about. I loved it. Byron kept saying “It’s not a Limo because Aunty Natalie said it’s not a limo” to the driver. How embarrassing! Byron and Lily travelled in it too which was no doubt an adventure for them. Lily, bless her little oversized cotton stockings, fell asleep on my lap.



Byron and Lily were so cute walking down the isle. Byron had to be prompted a bit to take off but he did well, walking down the isle looking everywhere but straight ahead – admiring all the art work and the church ceiling! I held Lily’s hand on the way down because, as expected, she wasn’t going to hold Byron’s hand. They were such good little kids both standing in the same spot, not uttering a word for 20 minutes, until I decided it was better to let them sit with Trevor. Byron stood up near the fellas and Lily near Natalie and me. She stood there staring up at Natalie and devouring her single stem rose. Gosh it was adorable. Every now and then I would glance at Byron and couldn’t help but smile. He was so proud. I was so, so proud. Sigh.

(I'm hiding...but look at my Lily. Worthy of a collective awwhhh don't you think?)

The ceremony, although very traditional, was lovely. It went for approximately 45 minutes, which kinda flew by. The only problem was that my feet weren’t too happy at standing in those darn heels for that amount of time. Leaving my feet aside, and the fact I couldn’t understand ¾ of the service, it was beautiful and different to anything I had seen previously.

I think I should mention Nat’s ring about now. OH. MY. GOSH. That girl is spoilt. Her wedding band was amazing - 0.7ct of diamonds to go with her huge rock. Every girl’s dream.


After the ceremony, there were professional photos. I’ve decided wedding photography isn’t for me – at least not in the foreseeable future. I’ll stick to babies. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results of the photos though. Byron and Lily didn’t come along for professional photos. They left with Grandma.


(A capture of mine with a trusty point and shoot camera)

The reception was amazing. Every single detail had been taken care of. The food was probably the only thing that was a little disappointing although I wasn’t really in an eating mood.

(The newly weds)


(The best man and I - at this stage it's about the only full length shot of me)

(It's Greek custom to apparently have a bottle of Scotch on each table...it went down well with all the guests!)




The atmosphere was electric. Everyone danced which is always a sign of a good party. Pretty much every Greek guest, and half everyone else (even me), partook in Greek dancing (including the Zorba). I had no idea what I was doing…I just ran around in a circle moving my legs like I was doing something, hoping no one would notice!

Natalie and Ross just looked so in love. Everyone shed a tear or two, including me, during his speech when he said, “everyday I wake up next to Natalie and love her more with each day”. Sigh. Their body language was of those in love. They really are so sweet together.


I’m not normally the jealous kind but can I just say the thought of them sitting in the warmth of Santorini is just down right depressing – for me not them. They are on the trip of a lifetime. Six weeks of travel around the Greek Islands, Greece, Italy, Venice, France, Rome, and London. Sigh. I would give my right leg to go on a trip like that. I hope they have the time of their lives...they deserve it.

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Wow, it looked absolutely amazing...right down to the tiniest of little details. Now some more photo requests - would love to see the Mother of the Bride in the next instalment! As for that honeymoon - a trip of a lifetime allright!! Me jealous too!

Melza said...

Beautiful!

Mel x