Monday, June 30, 2008

Sleep my child...

Arghh…I felt like I had a newborn last night, although come to think of it, my newborns weren’t anywhere as bad as lily was last night. The little Miss cried full on from 10.00pm to midnight and then on and off and on and off until 3.00am. By midnight I’d had enough and summonsed Trevor to take over. I had to go to work and there was no way I could function properly on a few hours sleep, which as it stands was a correct assumption – I’m buggered!

Trevor had gone to bed at around 10.00pm which is so not like him, especially when he doesn't have to work the next day – he starts a new job on Tuesday. Woohooo!!! He’ll be around in the morning. He’ll be working normal hours and no more Saturdays!!!

Anyway, I digress. Lily hardly ever wakes up in the night. Both my children are great sleepers and for the most part have always been. As newborns, they ‘slept through’ from 8 and 12 weeks and from then we haven’t looked back. The down side to having good sleeping children is that when they’re unwell, having a bad night or just being silly, we’re so unaccustomed to the ‘broken’ sleep ourselves, that come the next morning, it’s like we are badly hung-over, despondent and completely shattered. That’s how I feel today! Lucky Trevor, who has the day off today, gets to have a nice sleep. Sigh. I’m trying to stay upright at my desk, let alone stay focused.

I’m not quite sure what was going on with Lily last night. She woke up initially and when I went in to her she keep saying, “see Byron, see Byron”. Needless to say at 10.00pm, Byron was sleeping soundly and there was no way I was taking her up on such an offer. That was until, after half an hour of straight crying she woke up Byron. Thinking it might help, I took her in to say goodnight once again, and for a cuddle. It obviously didn’t do the trick. What ever was wrong with the child, she wasn’t sleeping. Trevor ended up sleeping on her floor, patting her head, giving her some warm milk - I had done the panadol trick earlier - but none of it worked with any success. It's seems the poor child eventually wore herself out, sleeping from 3.00am to 6.30am.

I hope she puts her sleeping hat on tonight because there is no way I’ll be able to back up tomorrow otherwise!

1 comment:

Kylie said...

Oh mate. My stomach lurched to see that she was still restless at 3am. You poor thing. I'm crossing everything that she'll be OK tonight. Hopefully it was just one of those things. xox