Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Anticipation is building

I just finished completing the census. I can’t believe it has been 5 years since we completed the last one. Apart from living in the same place, so much more has happened; I graduated from university, got admitted as a solicitor, got married, had one child (who is practically 3) and another is almost here. It makes my head spin to think that by the time the next census rocks around, Byron will be 8 and Lily 5 – perhaps we will have a third!?! I guess time will tell.

Yesterday I washed Byron’s old convertible car seat cover and got it all ready for the new baby. Adjusting the straps to the smallest position was a little surreal. I remember when we put Byron in his car seat for the first time...he looked so itty bitty. Today I put the car seat in the car (I now remember how much a car seat takes up in the reversible position – a lot – thankfully we have upgraded car size since having Byron!). It’s hard to imagine that in just a few short weeks there will be a baby sitting in that seat...right next to Byron (mental note: make sure he doesn’t try to feed her smarties, which he excitedly mentioned he would do upon seeing the car seat in the car).

The anticipation surrounding Lily’s arrival is definitely building. Its getting to that stage where I like to just potter around in her room, looking at the clothes and playing with the baby ‘stuff’, much to Trevor’s amusement who can not understand the fascination with baby stuff (his loss I say!). I like to picture the items in use. I remember doing the same thing with Byron – in particular, I remember setting up his cradle swing in the lounge room, then walking by it trying to picture a baby in it; then he arrived and was well and truly in it.

My eagerness to meet her is building by the day. I wonder when she will arrive; what she will look like; how big she will be; how Byron will interact with her; how Trevor will interact with her; how will she feed; how will she sleep – the list goes on. The countdown has well and truly begun!

No comments: