Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

My pelvic (pubic) pain was unbearable last night; most notably at bed time. The pain was at its worse when ever I tried to move in bed and was akin to someone getting a screwdriver and screwing it into my pubic bone (even though I know its not the bone that was the problem). This meant that rolling over, moving my leg (any leg) a fraction was excruciating and almost impossible (it got to the point where I had to physic myself up to go to the toilet). There have been nights when it had been bad, but never (in this pregnancy) was it as bad as it was last night.

This morning, I had more noticeable restriction in movement, especially when walking. I.e. My general mobility was again in question. I figured that I must have aggravated it yesterday when playing with Byron (although the OB said that sometimes there is no aggravation, it is just the progression of the pregnancy).

According to Dr Google, I am suffering from 'Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction', the symptoms of which include:

• pubic pain (check)
• pubic tenderness to the touch; having the fundal height measured may be uncomfortable (not always)
• lower back pain, especially in the sacro-iliac area (surprisingly not a lot)
• difficulty/pain rolling over in bed (check, check, check)
• difficulty/pain with stairs, getting in and out of cars, sitting down or getting up, putting on clothes, bending, lifting, standing on one foot, lifting heavy objects, etc (check)
• sciatica (pain in buttocks and down the leg) (sometimes)
• "clicking" in the pelvis when walking (not really)
• waddling gait (hmmm definite check)
• difficulty getting started walking, especially after sleep (check)
• feeling like hip is out of place or has to pop into place before walking (not so much)
• bladder dysfunction (temporary incontinence at change in position) (not really)

I’m no doctor, however, it is pretty obvious I am suffering from most of the symptoms of this condition. There are some suggestions for coping with the pain which include:

• Use a pillow between your legs when sleeping; body pillows are a great investment! (I have one and use it nightly, although it makes it near impossible to turn over)
• Use a pillow under your 'bump' (pregnancy tummy) when sleeping (do this too)
• Keep your legs and hips as parallel/symmetrical as possible when moving or turning in bed (try this every time I have difficulties, but it doesn’t always work)
• Some women also find it helpful to have their partners stabilise their hips and hold them 'together' when rolling over in bed or otherwise adjusting position (will definitely keep this in mind)
• Some women report a waterbed mattress to be helpful (not an option here)
• Silk/satin sheets and nighties may make it easier to turn over in bed (don’t think this will help)
• Swimming may help relieve pressure on the joint (hmm too lazy + too cold)
• Keep your legs close together and move symmetrically (I try this when I can but its not always practical)
• When standing, stand symmetrically, with your weight evenly distributed through both legs (surprisingly, standing in the one position doesn’t pose to much of a problem)
• Sit down to get dressed, especially when putting on underwear or pants (a must – although sometimes a little impractical!)
• Avoid 'straddle' movements (no problems doing that here)
• Swing your legs together as a unit when getting in and out of cars (yep do this most of the time)
• An ice pack may feel soothing and help reduce inflammation in the pubic area (haven’t thought of this one)
• Move slowly and without sudden movements (true)
• If bending over to pick up objects is difficult, there are devices available that can help with this (like Trevor LOL)
• Really severe cases may need crutches, although these should probably only be used as a last resort (I can manage at this stage)
• Performing regular pelvic floor exercises and lower abdominal exercises can help to reduce the strain of the pregnancy on your pelvis (pelvic floor exercises help control some of the pain but not all)
• Some women report that pelvic binders/maternity support belts are helpful for pelvic pain (admittedly the physio gave me one of these earlier in my pregnancy but I only used it a few times – I don’t think it will make any difference at this stage)
• Pain killers can also help (will definitely given these a go!)

I had an OB appointment today and amongst other things (which I will consider later) we did discuss this. I was referred to the physio again just so we can assume that I have exhausted all efforts in this regard (which I think I have). Hopefully, I can get into see the physio in the next few days.

The OB noted that if the pain gets worse I may have to be admitted to hospital. When he said this I responded by saying "I can’t, I have a 2 year old at home". He didn’t consider this a good excuse...saying that this should be treated like any other condition such as Pre Eclampsia. He questioned what support mechanisms I had in place should such a situation arise. Admittedly he has a point, I just would rather say at home .

He also noted that Panadene Forte can be prescribed for the pain. If I need any I will have to go to the hospital and get a prescription from the doctor (we have some at home so I will just use those for now). Ultimately though, it appears (from my research at least) that the only really ‘cure’ is having the baby. I guess I will just have to put up with the pain until she decides she wants to come out because, its not like the OB will induce based on SPD unless the pain is absolutely unbearable (which I would argue it can be!).

No comments: