Sunday, August 13, 2006

Immobility & Oedema end the 35th week.

Mobility...The quality or state of being mobile; the ability and willingness to move or change; this can depend on motor skills; mobility aids may be needed such as a walking stick, walker, mobile standing frame or wheelchair.

Over the last few days (OK maybe this week) my mobility has slowed right down; my ‘ability’ and ‘willingness’ to move has gone out the window. The enthusiasm to move is there but my capability is not! Hmmm, I can’t quite put a finger on what might be causing this (leaving the obvious aside of course).

There is more pressure on my pelvis then there was a week or so ago. I get breathless so much more easily. Getting up off the floor and chairs is a 2 man job (2 hour job without help). Rolling over in bed is horrendous (although I think I previously mentioned this).

Mobility aids...don’t laugh...the thought has crossed my mind (oh and Trevor’s today who thought it would be a good idea to get me a wheelchair at the footy – I declined of course even though, it would have made the long walk so much more relaxing).

It's not just a change in mobility that I have noticed; there are other changes.

Oedema...A swelling from effusion of watery fluid in the cellular tissue beneath the skin or mucous membrane.

The last week or so has brought with it the dreaded swelling. It's not a lot for serious concern (like pre eclampsia) but it is definitely noticeable. It seems to be present in the feet and ankles, hands, arms, face, and lets not forget my legs, in particular my thighs (which are like solid logs or at least it feels like it).

I purchased some cream the other day - "maternity pre-natal foot cream gel with hypoallergenic products" (it was clearance at Woolies – hopefully that doesn’t say something). It is supposed to relieve swelling in the feet and ankles. Trevor diligently has been rubbing or massaging my feet with this cream once a day for the last 3 days. I can’t say I have seen much of a difference but I will admit the cream has a nice cooling affect after application. Then there’s the foot and calf massage; and not to mention the fact that I MUST elevate my feet for at least 15 to 20 minutes after application.

Tonight marks the end of my 35th week of pregnancy...counting down to the closing stages now. During the next 4 weeks (wishful thinking would say 2) I suspect mobility will continue on the downward slide and oedema will continue on the up and up. At least the parcel at the end is all worth it.

No comments: