Tuesday, October 24, 2006

8 weeks and needles

Eight weeks yesterday...that’s how old my baby is...8 weeks! I know I have said it before, but I’m going to say it again – I don’t know where the time has gone. I went to visit a friend yesterday who just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Looking at this tiny baby it was hard to believe that Lily was that small. But she was...smaller in fact; thank god for photos or you would just simply forget.

Today I took Lily off for her 8 week check up and needles. I wasn’t looking forward to the whole needle ordeal. From memory, Byron wasn’t really affected by the jabs in the leg. He grizzled for about 10 seconds and was as happy as larry after that. I knew Lily would be different, and that she was (maybe cause she is a 'princess').

She was a little fussy during the weigh in and measure up, because as usual, despite only being fed a few hours earlier, she was hungry again. So, by the time the nurse was ready to give those needles she really wasn’t happy at all. It goes without saying, that my little princess screamed blue murder when they popped those 3 needles into her legs (one in one leg; 2 in the other). Her little shriek was accompanied by a tomato red face and to make it worse; real tears. Yes, real tears – enough to break anyone’s heart – especially mine. To ease my mind, I just kept thinking of how important her needles were and that she wouldn’t remember this day. Heck, all it took was a little booby (and probably the Panadol) and she was fine; although she did gulp that little sigh for a few minutes whilst feeding – trying to calm her self down I suspect.

During the course of the rest of the day, she was out of sorts and a little upset which is to be expected.

Now for the statistics...little Lily (who is getting on the larger side) now weighs 5300grams (that’s a gain of approximately 2kgs since birth); is 58.5cms long (gain of 8.5cms) and has a head circumference of 40cms.

For comparative purposes, I looked up Byron’s little book...at 8 weeks, he was 5400grams, 61cms and with a head circumference of 40cms. Considering Lily weighed less then Byron when born, it is fair to say she is doing ok in the weight department. She is my chubba guts, and she is sure living up to the name!

No comments: