Sunday, October 01, 2006

Kid's birthday parties - oh the joys!

I was one of these parents (pre children off course) that swore black and blue that I wouldn’t let my kids have a birthday party every year. I didn’t have one and I turned out fine. In fact, I only really had a handful of birthday parties during my childhood and adolescent years. That however, was the done thing back then – none of my friends had parties every year. Generally you got a party every few years or so for the more ‘important’ birthdays.

Oh how things changed when the children arrived...

When Byron came along and he nudged closer to that big ONE I couldn’t wait (or resist) to plan his party and organise the perfect cake (which I of course would make from scratch). We would have a BBQ at the park; I would invite all his little friends (from mothers group), his relatives and some of my friends – it would be perfect (and that it was albeit a great deal of hard work!).

Speaking of cakes, in the months prior to his birthday I remember searching high and low for the Women’s Weekly Cake Cookbook but to no avail (apparently there was a shortage in the months leading up to his birthday). Eventually I was able to borrow one until I could find my own. I remember studying the pages, working out what cake I could make him for his birthday (like he would care!!). I guess I wanted it to be like it was when I was a kid. Although I never really had many birthday parties, I know mum always tried to make a cake. I specifically remember on my 6th birthday (one of the years I had a party) mum made me a rabbit cake (and of course it looked exactly like it did in the book).

There were many cakes I would have liked to have made him but lets face it, I didn’t think my culinary attributes would enable me to. So in the end, I made him a number 1 cake. It turned out quite well – took hours, but the feeling I had at the end was well worth it.

After his first birthday I decided I wasn’t going to give him a party for his second birthday but alas, when it was nearing I couldn’t resist. This time however, it would just be a small gathering at home (and that it was, although there still were a few children). Again, I searched the cake book (finally managed to get my own) for the perfect cake. I can’t remember what I picked, but in the end I never made it. I think the reality of having a 2 year old (and being 7 weeks pregnant) took its toll and I never even made him a cake – my mother did!!!

Shock horror...I decided that I definitely wouldn’t be having a party for his 3rd birthday (remember, he doesn’t need a party every year). Nonetheless, as it rolled around I of course changed my mind – there is an obvious pattern emerging here. However, my rational this time was a little different; a new baby. I figured it only fair that he have his own party or special day. I was worried that the new baby would be stealing all the attention and therefore it wouldn’t hurt for him to have his ‘own day’.

This year I definitely wanted something low maintenance, not at home or in a park, so I opted for a Gymboree bash and boy am I glad I did. It was truly a great party the sentiments of which were echoed by all the mums and dads. In all, he had 14 little friends in attendance. It was a sight to see them all running around screaming, singing, dancing and climbing (and boy was it loud). The hostess was an absolute gem, who took complete charge, leaving me to enjoy the party with Byron. The best part of having the party there was leaving when the other guests did – no cleaning required.

I guess that leaves the cake. When I would ask Byron what he wanted for his birthday he would always say without fail “a smartie cake”. I consulted my cake book and found the perfect cake to make – a piñata cake that had smarties all over it. I had all intentions of making the cake and indeed was quite excited to do so. However, I never envisaged getting mastitis the day before I was going to make the cake, or at least get all the required ingredients, so out the window that plan went. Needless to say, I was quite upset about it.

In the end mum organised a plain chocolate iced sponge for me, which meant all I needed to do was decorate it. I decorated it with Byron’s 3 favourite things...smarties, freckles (come to think of it, they are my favourite) and hundred’s & thousands. It seemed to be a hit with him and the littlies – there was never any further mention of the piñata cake – he was happy with the cake I ‘made’.



I have already picked out the cake I WILL (note emphasis) be making Lily for her 1st birthday next year.

No comments: