Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lily's MCU...

Oh my, the ‘visits’ continue...

Today Lily had her MCU (Micturating Cysto Uretherogram) to see what, if any, further treatment is required for her kidney dilation.

The MCU test was carried out in the Medical Imaging Department at The Children’s Hospital. In this examination, a series of X-Ray films were taken of Lily’s bladder and kidneys.

The test was performed in a room with a high metal table and a large camera above it. The camera was linked to a television screen where an X-Ray image of the bladder, kidneys and ureter were observed.

Poor little Lily was undressed and placed in this tiny little hospital gown (with the opening at the back). They laid her on the BIG table, cleaned her ‘little bits’ with an antiseptic solution and then inserted a catheter into her bladder. The catheter was connected to the bag of contrast liquid (ie dye – although it looked like water).

Apparently (because lets face it I had no idea) as her little bladder filled, the contrast liquid made the bladder look like a black balloon. This was watched on the TV screen and a series of X-Ray films were taken in different positions. Once the bladder was full, X-Ray images of the kidneys and bladder were taken. Pictures were also taken as it emptied (ie they waited for her to wee for which she was some what obliging - they were hoping for a little bit more although they did get enough to see what they needed).

Lily cried pretty much the whole time. I suspect though, that this had more to do with being hungry and naked then the actual examination itself (that is what I would like to think).

Now we just wait for the results tomorrow...

I had my 6 week check up today. Grrrr much to my surprise I was required to have a pap smear – no fair I say! I only had one in November last year but it seems it is the done thing these days (didn’t happen with Byron) that all women be given a pap smear at their 6 week check up. The good thing is there will be no more poking and prodding for at least another 2 years. For that I am happy. Anyway, all is well on the after birth front.

I guess now the whole pregnancy and birth thing is a distant memory, which is kind of sad (strange as it may seem). Now for the next chapter – getting fit or at least losing 6kgs because lets face it; the whole “I just had a baby” excuse will soon be wearing thin!

No comments: