Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Computer Withdrawals & Chiropractor Visits

My poor computer - oh how I missed you so!

Thanks to a virus my computer (in particular the internet) was out of action for a good 4 days. I will be honest; I was completely lost with out it. I didn’t know what to do with myself when I had that 5 minutes spare here and there (hmmm there was the washing, maybe the ironing and the dusting, vacuuming – the list goes on). It was like my connection with the outside world was gone. I couldn’t pay my bills, check my emails and worst of all...talk to my cyber friends. My ‘right hand man’ was gone.

Does this make me a sad and sorry case? About 5 years ago I would have sad yes, but today I would say no. I reckon at least 1 in 3 people would have withdrawals if they couldn’t get near their computer (mainly the internet for a few days) – go on...ask around; bet you couldn’t handle it!!!

It made me realise just how much the world has changed in the last few years. Its amazing what we come to rely on in our lives – internet, mobile phones, cars, pay TV (that would be Trevor’s top of the list not mine). I wonder what it will be like in 5 years time???

Now that my dear old trusty computer is fixed (although there are still a few kinks), I can move on...

Monday (yesterday) marked Lily’s 6 week birthday. I can’t believe she is 6 weeks already. For the record, she:

• Now weighs 4660grams
• Is 56cms long
• Has a head circumference of 39cms
• Is on the verge of cracking a smile (although I really thought she cracked one for me today but I couldn’t be sure...then mum (nanna) decided she got 2 smiles in a row – still not convinced they were proper smiles - However, I don’t think they are far away).

Lily had another appointment with her chiropractor today and I had my first visit. He presented ‘his findings’ following his examination of Lily from last week. It seems that Lily’s ligaments, which hold the sacroiliac joint (around the pelvis), are stretched or sprained, allowing the joint surfaces to separate. This disturbs the body’s balance, nervous system and her spine right up to her shoulders and neck and also her cranial system. This can result in (just to name a few):

• Jaw problems
• Neck pain
• Fatigue

Now that he knows what the problems are he can ‘fix’ them using some palpitation and manipulation as well as his little metal spring-loaded activator instrument to perform the adjustment (which he wears on his belt like a carpenter would wear a hammer!).

He noticed there had been some improvements in her since the previous visit, particularly her tongue (which wouldn’t roll properly on the left side). He suggested she come twice a week for the next 2 weeks and that should be all that is required for now.

As for me, I think I will be a whole other kettle of fish. To cut a long story short, my SPD has played havoc with my back, which to him was no surprise (gee, I wish someone could have warned me). He examined me (findings still to come) and decided that my body and reflexes were responding normally in some areas and not so in others, which he indicated was somewhat worse then your body either responding whole heartedly or not at all. So he decided to send me to get some x-rays just to make sure there was nothing untoward with my back (my first x-rays ever, which was a strange experience - I have never had a broken bone, sprain or anything requiring x-ray vision: touch wood).

I must admit, he performed some manipulations of my back which were a little strange and at one point a little uncomfortable. However, they seemed to have the desired effect (re. reflexes) and he was happy.

I am hopeful that over my coming visits things will improve...watch this space!

No comments: