Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Home safe and sound...

Before I say anything at all, I just have to say what a wonderful, contented, happy baby I have – the best baby in the world I say this based on the fact that she didn’t make a peep (yes, not a peep) during the 13 hour journey down and the 12 hour journey back (see I’m not biased). She was wonderful. Byron on the other hand is a whole other story...

We are home from the road trip to Sydney; safe and sound and all in one piece – although maybe not in one piece as I suspect I may have lost a little bit of my hearing. We actually arrived home on Sunday but as you can imagine, the last thing I wanted to do was get on the computer (oh and I only got my computer back on Tuesday and was only allowed restricted use with Trevor making me go to bed early – pfft to him I say!!!).

Byron was pretty good on the way down...he slept for the first hour or two and that was it. He was pretty much awake for the rest of the trip. He talked a lot, looked out the window, ate (if he could, he would have eaten all day long), played with this leap pad and also with his playskool video now (mini tv) toy. At one point, 2 hours into the tip, he pipped up with “are we there yet?”. Needless to say, I didn’t have the heart to say “no darling, we still have 10 hours to go!”.

The trip back was somewhat of a nightmare. Poor Byron had a very croaky voice from talking way to much and I suspect he also had a viral infection. He had a horrible runny nose and bags under his eyes. He was just out of sorts, which wouldn’t have made for a good car trip in any event – let alone a 12 hour one. In between crying and winging, all he wanted to do was eat (it was lucky I had supplies). Next, all he needed to do was go to the toilet. However, every time we pulled over to the side of the road he suffered ‘stage fright’ and just couldn’t go. At one point, we pulled over to a rest stop...you know the ones with the eco toilets. Byron couldn’t use the toilet due to a fear “that he would fall in”. All I have to say, is lucky for the servos and ‘real toilets' – he didn’t seem to have a problem with them thank god!

Ok...he’s 3 – barely 3 for that matter. It is hard for 3 year olds to focus and sit still for any length of time. In the circumstances, taking age into consideration, Byron really wasn’t that bad. Hey, we made it home didn’t we??? Not sure though, we will be rushing to go on any road trips soon.

Stay tuned for the wedding details...

No comments: