Wednesday, October 18, 2006

First smiles...

I would like to say its official but I’m just not sure...

I think (well I know...maybe I don't) I saw a smile (not the jerky wind smile which had been so prevalent to date) last Tuesday (10 October 2006). Mum said (and she was adamant) she got 2 smiles not long after, on that same day.

I read that babies almost always smile by accident the first time they do it, while exercising their facial muscles or passing wind. I know it wasn’t a wind smile (I have seen many of those so far), so I guess that leaves an accident. Yes, I think that is what I saw...an accident.

The reason I say accident, is because over the last week or so, I have been putting on my best smiles, starry eyes, gar gars, ooohs, ahhhs and singing voice in the hope of getting more smiles. So far, my success has been very limited to the odd smirk; slight but noticeable, but not that beaming smile I saw last Tuesday (maybe she doesn’t like my singing!).

Apparently the reaction they get from you – to the accident - (ie, enormous smiles, whoops of joy, big eyes, lots of talk) is so exciting they try a smile again pretty soon. Hmmm how soon? I am trying but I guess I must not be exciting enough.

With each tiny smirk (I think I am trying to see a smirk that might lead to a smile), my hunger grows for more. I want more!!! I want to see those big blue eyes sparkle with happiness; those little chubby cheeks move ever so slightly. I just want to see a big cheesy grin. I am desperate for more.

Lily is 7 weeks and 2 days. Byron was well and truly smiling away at this age, having cracked his first smile at 4 weeks. I won’t lie; the seed of doubt is planting in my mind (the one that all parents get when their child doesn’t quite fit within the ‘normal’ development guidelines) that she might never get there. I know this is crap and that she will get there; for now though I am eagerly waiting to officially say...she has smiled.

No comments: