Friday, July 13, 2007

Elf costume...how do I make that?

Ok so I should have probably been a bit more proactive with the invitation because I have had some knowledge of the party for many weeks now; the party being, a fairies and elf party for a little kindy girlfriend of Byron's, which is to take place Saturday the 21st of July. The girls are to dress up as fairies and the boys, elves.

Why do they have to make things so hard? I can walk into any department store and find myself a lovely fairy outfit with accessories for minimal dollars. Do you think I can walk into a department store or any well respected toy store for that matter and find myself an elf costume (that is not Christmas related)? The short answer is NO! I can't. If I had acted sooner I probably could have ordered one from the US at a reasonable price but seeing as it is only 1 week away, that doesn't leave enough time for postage.

So where does that leave me? Well, I did contemplate dressing Byron as a fairy but that didn?t go down to well with Trevor, so from here it is looking more and more frightening! I think I will have to *gulp* make it myself; from scratch. My sewing skills are sparse and definitely nothing to rave home about. The only things I have really sewn have been basic things. Also, how do I make a costume and what does an elf look like again?

My first port of call so far has been Google. It has delivered a little...I at least have a picture of an elf in my mind (that isn't Christmas related). I also happened to find myself step by step instructions on 'how to make an elf costume'. Apparently, 'making a child's elf costume really isn't hard at all'. I wonder if there is any truth to those words (which were probably written by Martha Stewart herself). I guess we will have to see about that - stay tunned!

For all those that can't quite remember what a traditional elf looks like, here you go...


No comments: