Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sickness and Growing Pains

I am not sure I mentioned that Lily has been sick the last week. The poor little thing has a terrible cold (temperature, congestion etc) - nothing can fix it but cuddles and love (doctor's orders). She hasn?t been particularly miserable, but not her chirpy self either. She has lost that sparkle in her eyes.

I had to have Friday off work because there was no way she could go to kindy. Saturday and Sunday were no better. There was improvement on Monday, enough to send her to kindy (I know, I know I am a terrible mother, putting work deadlines ahead of my own child; I feel terrible about it but that is another entry - I know once I start I won't stop ). Today, she has improved a little, but still has no sparkle.

Byron is well and truly over the worst of his cold. He has been a trooper this winter - not one sick day off from kindy! Speaking of Byron, I am starting to worry a little about his weight. He is growing taller by the day but isn't filling out any. He has the skinniest little legs and frankly, there is nothing to him. He doesn't eat much which is a concern. I am thinking about getting him some sort of 'tonic' for him to take that will build him up a little.

Last night he literally sobbed in bed on 2 separate occasions (8.20pm and 11.15pm) because he legs ached . There was nothing I could do to stop him crying- "my legs are never going to get better"..."my legs, my legs are never going to get better". He said that over and over again while he sobbed (literally - with real tears). When I explained this to mum she said my brother used to do the same thing; he would cry and cry because his legs hurt.

I have done my research on Dr Google and apparently it is normal for children to experience what is termed 'growing pains'. There isn't a lot that I can do really except for providing plenty of cuddles and reassurance that the pain will go away and that his legs will feel normal by morning; massage, using special massage oils (apparently this is not necessary to easing the pain, but may help your child feel special) - we used the 'magic potion' last night but it obviously wasn't magic enough; heat treatment, such as warm baths and hot water bottles - will have to try this next time; medicines that reduce pain, such as paracetamol - and stupid me forgot to try this last night!

Last night was hard for all involved, especially for Trevor who had to get up at 1.45am to go to work. Fingers crossed Byron doesn't suffer to much with 'growing pains' and especially on nights Trevor has to go to work.

No comments: