Monday, July 30, 2007

The Pressure of Cake Making

I have vowed this year to make my kids' birthday cakes. You read right - I am going to whip out the trusty old Woman's Weekly cookbook and go from there. Every year I have the intention of making a cake but the intention falters as the birthdays approach - I simply run out of time (terrible excuse I know). I made Byron's first birthday cake but not his 2nd or 3rd birthday cakes; those honours rested with my mum.

This year however is going to be different. I plan on making a master piece (I can dream). I am going to make 2 cakes for Byron - one for kindy and one for his party (and Lily too). I am not yet sure what I am going to make him. I thought of letting him decide and consequently he has poured over the three cake books on the lounge room floor, professing that he wants every second cake, but I have since decided against that...he won't know; he will be happy with anything chocolate I'm sure.

After scouring on EBay I was shocked to see that you can actually buy cake tins already shaped to your desired design. How fricken fantastic is that??? Straight up I thought that was definitely the go for me; far easier then making 4 cakes and trying to shape them into something that clearly is not going to work. So, in my haste I purchased 2 cake tins and some decorating equipment. Now I am feeling confident that at least the cake will form the right shape ? I am not too sure how the decorating part with turn out but I am willing to give it a go.

At this moment (it could change) I have Lily's birthday cake sorted (in my head) and I have one of Byron's too. I won't spoil the surprise and will wait for the reveal to enlighten you as to exactly what I plan on making or have made (note: my decision has nothing to do with a fear of failing; not living up to expectations set; embarrassment should they look dreadful; or placing undue pressure on myself - I simply want to reveal a surprise *cough cough*).

Stay tunned...

No comments: