Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Damn Patches

Byron had his 4 year immunisations today. Sadly I couldn’t be there. As much as I wanted to, dear old work called again (I know, I know if I wanted to I probably could have…but alas I would rather have the day off to take him to a party). Anyway, I knew he would be fine with Grandma plus I bought some patches; you know the patches that are supposed to numb the pain? (I wish I knew they cost $17 before I bought them). Anyway, I was hoping that if he didn’t feel any pain then the experience wouldn’t be at all bad.

The patches were good in theory – just whack them on each arm 60 minutes prior to puncture time and hay presto; you have a numbed arm and no needle pain. However, someone should have put in the fine print:

“Caution need be taken when attempting to apply patches to young child’s arm. Ear plugs, closed doors and windows a must. Possible restraint required. Strong will (for adult applier) vital”
Seriously, it was apparently a complete debacle. Byron wouldn’t have a bar of it. My mother in law (Grandma) said she had never seen such resistance from dear Byron…ever! For what ever reason he wouldn’t let those patches near his arm for quite a while. After tears all round (including Grandma – the poor dear appeared out of her depth with this one), and stories of numbing bones and protecting skin were hashed, the patches were on. Thankfully!

Thanks to the patches the lad didn’t feel a thing. In fact he didn’t flinch at all let alone shed a tear which made it all worth while (although easy for me to say seeing as I didn’t have to put up with the tornado that was Byron).

All is good in the boy’s department. He is growing well – 16.5kgs and 105cms – sitting in the 75th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight which is reassuring to know (especially with his eating habits).

Back to the patches…lucky there will not be a requirement for patches any time soon. I dear say when he is 15 he will be able to do with out them.

*sob* *sob* I just realised today was his final little milestone in his little maroon baby health book. There is a spot for the 10-12 and 15 year old health check but by then I doubt I will even be able to find the book let alone need (or want) to fill it in (who wants to know what their BMI was at 15). Oh my...

No comments: