Thursday, October 04, 2007

Dreadful Day

Disclaimer: Enjoy my whinge and YES I know things could be worse!

Today was one of those days one dreads – you know the days that just don't go your way.

It all started peachy – or as peachy as you can at 6.00am in the morning. The car was scheduled for a service. I had booked the car in a few weeks ago. Anyway, I had hoped to get the kids off to kindy that little bit earlier so that I could get the car in on time.

I managed to sneak into the shower earlier then I usually do. Byron stumbled out of bed not long after that. I got dressed, made lunches and got Byron some breakfast. It was all going smoothly - all I had to do was get Lily up, dressed and head out from there (I had prepared her breaky for kindy - food is a great divert when needed).

It couldn’t have been going better. That was until; I walked into her room to the stench of vomit – that pungent smell there is no mistaking. The only thing left to discover was exactly how much vomit existed. She didn’t let me down. It was everywhere, including her hair and she was happily sleeping away in it. I left the room to compose myself for a tick (bit of background – there is this mutual hatred between vomit and I. I can’t stand the sight, smell or anything in between when it comes to sick. As I have gotten older, it has gotten worse. I think it might have a bit to do with the Hyperemesis Gravidarum I suffered during pregnancy). The thought that it might have been a one off was dispelled when Lily threw up again at the moment I stepped back into her room. It took all my composure not to throw up as well - give me flu, measles, chicken pox...just not spew.

My poor little Pilly Pie is sick. She has had the worst run of luck lately. I never got the opportunity to write about her last affliction but in short she had a terrible viral chesty infection that resulted in high temperatures, days off kindy and a few visits to the doctors. She was just plain miserable and it went on for over a week. She was only just getting better until this damn bug befriended her. Grrrr!

Anyway, my morning gets better! Really it does…

I ran her a bath at 7.00am in an effort to rid her of the vomit and the smell. I was chatting away with mum whilst watching her in the bath (winging away no doubt). Well, I hung up, went to start to wash her when I noticed the water was brown – poo brown. The little missy had poohed in the bath. I could hardly believe my luck.

Vomit and diarrhoea...what did I do to deserve such a gift??

Cutting a long story short (because I could go on for hours), my mother in law picked up Byron to drop him at kindy, the car service people said I could drop the car off later, Trevor hurried as quickly as he could and I made it to work by noon (I had some deadlines to meet).

The afternoon was going swimmingly until I got a call from the car service people, which is never a good sign. My front breaks were dangerously low and well...well it appears I needed 4 new tires – AGAIN!!!

You may recall the dreaded tire issue I had 15 months ago. It seems, poor wheel alignment and low air pressure has caused my tires to die in the ass at pretty much exactly half of their life span. In short, that means another $800 for tires. Not to mention the breaks, filters and a few other things.

Wait for it...

$1,414.00

Yep...$1,414.00

I’m not one to muck around with safety in the car, especially with children so I gave the go ahead but not before I grilled the guy as to whether he was ripping me off. He assured me he wasn’t and that he would show me the tires when I picked up the car. Alas, he showed them to me and they were pretty bad *blush*. I could tell the guy really felt sorry for me especially seeing as he was the same guy that put the other tires on 15 months ago. He gave me a slight discount and told me I was to bring the car to them every few months to make sure the tires were wearing evenly and the pressure was right etc (and all for free).

Geezers it’s an expensive exercise owning a car…and ours is shy on 5 years old!

Just when you feel like you might be getting a ahead financially something like this happens (that you don't bank on) and you are right back to square one again.

Moving on...the day ended on a better note. Lily was screaming for food and has managed *touch wood* to hold some vegemite toast down. Plus work has agreed to let me work from home tomorrow .

...This work from home thing sounds exciting.

No comments: