Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Slap Slap

Lily has developed a new habit.

A new bad habit!

It seems she has a fixation with slapping faces - mine especially. She particularly likes taking a swipe when she is confronted with the word NO!

The slapping wouldn’t bother me to much if I didn’t wear glasses. I’m pretty good at dodging her attempts. However, when I am caught unawares the glasses get caught in the firing line and she thinks it’s hilarious – which of cause it isn’t. What’s more, today I was advised by her kindy carer that Lily had a little ‘time out’ (not in the general sense – just separation) from her little friend at kindy. It seems she took to slapping him on the face and also attempted a scratch or two.

It appears my sweetly sublime little Lily has taken a leaf from a book I do not own and have never read *shakes head*.

I was trying to rationalise her behaviour this afternoon. I thought that maybe it had to do with the fact she has to fight for what she wants when Byron is around. Or maybe it’s the rough play that she and Byron partake in. Hmmm that’s it – I’m all out! Byron was never a slapper or a biter and generally never partook in any of that conduct parents hope to god their children don’t carry out and therefore I don’t really know what to make of it (...he is making up for that now – i.e. dysfunctional listening skills - but I will leave that for another day).

I know it’s only early days; for crying out loud she is barely 13 months. However, she thinks it’s a game – one big game of slap-a-tee-slap with NO as the que!

Hmmm what to do??? What to do???

I think I will just persist in taking a strong approach when she takes a swipe from now on. Be firm and consistent and see how it goes. Surely it’s a phase that will pass? Right!???

Lily is different from Byron in so many ways. I know all kids are different, but she is the polar opposite to what he was at the same age if my memory serves me correct. She loves to get down and dirty where as he wasn’t as fussed. She loves toys where he wasn’t bothered. She eats and drinks better then what he did. She doesn’t talk any where near what he did at the same age. Byron simply adored books (and still does) but she doesn't seem to like them at all (as much as I try). Bottom line, she is far more active.

Who ever said girls are more angelic and easy to look after was lying!!! I have proof.

No comments: