Friday, September 21, 2007

5 Years Gone…


It’s hard to believe that this time 5 years ago Trevor and I were in the grip of our wedding reception; only a few hours earlier having got married. I recall the beautiful church, Trevor’s tearful expression, my pounding heart as though it were yesterday. It was truly a magical day – spectacular in all its glory. My wedding was all that one could dream theirs to be. In hindsight, there is nothing I would do differently. From the quaint church, to the splendid spring afternoon to the ice sculpture at the reception (yes there was an ice sculpture – unexpected I might add) – It was all perfect. Alas, over too soon…*sigh*.

Today, 5 years on, we find ourselves plodding along in life, 2 kids in tow. We lead a pretty happy existence. Like most couples we have struggles and issues but we work through them and for the most part, we are content. Sometimes though, I wonder if we are too content; too set in the mundane ritual of life that we have lost the spark. We work hard, we look after the kids but when it comes to us, well to be blatantly honest, there isn’t much time for that. You might say we neglect each other a little. Not deliberately, but just through the act of living. We are conscious of this fact but it’s hard to try and break away and not worry about the kids, or money, or other trivial things which at the end of the day don’t really matter. I particularly find it hard to focus on the ‘relationship’. If truth be told, I probably don’t try hard enough (mental note – try harder!).

My darling husband was such a sweetie today and it seems the spark found him. We both agreed no gifts – just dinner when ever we had the chance to get away on a child free night (Trevor has to work early tomorrow so we didn’t think tonight would be worth baby sitting tickets). Anyway, I got in my car at the bus station this afternoon to head home after work. Low and behold, sitting on the drivers seat was one single red rose and a packet of Freckles chocolates (my favourite). It seems the cheeky blighter had driven to the bus station, located my car and popped the little surprise in there just for me. As soon as I saw it my memory flashed back to a time well before we were married; a time when the spark was at its brightest. I was working a semi graveyard shift at McDonalds (back in the day). During my shift Trevor had popped a packed of M&Ms (my then favourite) under my windshield wipers as a cheeky little surprise for no apparent reason other then to say he was thinking of me. That $1 present was one of the most memorable gifs he has ever given me which goes to show that expense is not always necessary.

Back to 21 September 2007….I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face the whole drive home. When I did arrive home to the onslaught of the children I saw Trevor sitting on the lounge 19 red roses obvious behind him. The darling husband had come up trumps!

So at the 5 year point, the spark still shines albeit probably not as bright as it once did...but nothing a bit of bluster can’t fix.

In closing, I read that as a married couple’s relationship ages to the five year anniversary it strengthens like a strong wood, and just like a mature oak tree has the wisdom not to be too rigid and to bend and give a little in stormy weathers. So its no big surprise that wood is the traditional symbol for 5 years of marriage; wood symbolising the strength of marriage. It’s fitting really – if you stop and think about it. The longer marriage goes the more flexible and tolerant you become...tolerant of the intricacies that urk and I guess flexible in unsettled times. Most importantly though, I think your love fortifies with each passing year.

Happy Anniversary Trevor!
xxx Nic

No comments: