Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Lady Beetle

Byron has befriended a lady beetle. Apparently it is his ‘new pet’. He wants to keep it. However, it is worth mentioning that keeping the beetle consists of making a home for her in Bryon’s lunch box without air, food, water and what ever else lady beetles need to survive.

He had talked about it last night - this infamous lady beetle but I thought she was something he had seen at kindy. It wasn’t until I went to make his lunch and then put it in his lunch box, that I discovered Miss Beetle.

Upon discovery I asked Trevor if it was dead but then the beetle moved and I could clearly see she was alive. At that moment, I headed to the back door ready to let her go free but Trevor hastily put an end to that, explaining, with a sad pout on his face for effect, that Byron would be devastated and there was no way I could do it without him. OK, OK he had a point – a point that I should have probably picked up on myself (the terrible mother that I am). I decided that if she was staying there was no way I was keeping her in Byron’s lunch box – she would die and not to mention the lunch; where was I supposed to put that? So, I made a little home for the lady beetle in a bowl with some grass (I thought it would make it more like home) and trusty gladwrap over the top with lots and lots (I think I went a little overboard) of tiny little tooth pick air holes so she could breathe.

As soon as Byron came down stairs this morning he made a run to the table to check on his beetle (not before I checked to make sure she had survived the night!). He was delighted when he saw her new little home. I tried to explain to him that he would have to let the lady beetle go; that if he didn’t she would die! He wouldn’t have a bar of it, so it was decided that he could take her to kindy for show and tell, after which he would have to let her go. I explained this to his teacher who advised him as well that the beetle will need to go and find her mummy because she will be sad without her.

It’s hard to tell how it’s all going to go...I guess I will have to wait for the update from Trev when he picks the kids up this afternoon. Fingers crossed it wasn’t too traumatic for all involved – but mainly for the beetle who I dare say will have been mobbed by a group of 3 and 4 year olds!!!

No comments: