Monday, September 17, 2007

Sleeping Children

I was talking to another kindy mum this morning when she asked me out of the blue “how did Lily sleep last night?”. I responded with “good”. I mean, what else was I supposed to respond with? She didn’t wake up, she didn’t cry – she slept all night which, to be perfectly honest, has been the norm for her since she was around 12 weeks old. Byron was even better – he wasn’t waking up at night from around the age of 8 weeks. The question got me thinking how absolutely lucky (for want of a better word) I am that my children sleep well at night because by the sounds of it, it could be a whole lot worse.

We started talking about sleep and kids. This other mum has a little girl a little older then Byron and a son 5 months younger then Lily. It seems her lovely children don’t sleep very well at night. Her daughter only just stopped waking up at night at the age of 3 and half - as for her baby…well, he wakes nearly every hour or two! I have done the whole sleep discussion thing with my mother’s group as well and it seems there are quite a few of the bubs (in fact most of them) that still wake at night or very early in the morning. When ever we get into discussions about sleeping children I always get gasps when I explain that my children sleep all night without waking and have done so from an early age – like I am some talk it up mum bragging about how good her kids are. Well I’m not…that’s honest to god just how they are.

I have no idea how I would cope if it were any different. I have absolutely no idea how I would function if my kids didn’t sleep like they do. On the days the kids have woken up at night due to illness and the like, I haven’t functioned at all the next day – I’m a mess! Thankfully, I don’t have to deal with that often.

If truth be told I am not quite sure where I am going with this entry. It is really kind of a pointless entry. I guess I just wanted to pen how grateful I am that my kids are good sleepers *touch wood*.

No comments: