Sunday, September 30, 2007

Birthday Weekend!!

***WARNING LOTS OF PHOTOS FROM PROUD MUMMY!***

It was one of those weekends where come Sunday evening you sit back and sigh with great relief that it is all over. I really need another weekend just to get over the one I just had.

The cake

Friday night was spent getting reading for the big party on Saturday morning. I eagerly (it’s my new found hobby) prepared the cake. I was so in the spirit of cake making that I made some matching baby cupcakes as well. I was really quite happy with how the cake turned out...or at least as happy as you can be when you have nothing to copy off. I was hoping the limited sum of artistic flair I possess would shine. I was happy it had the desired effect of construction…


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Once my cake making was completed, there were party bags to pack and things to sort out. After I was satisfied I had done all I could, I headed to bed excited about my little man’s big day.

Party day

We woke to a beautiful glorious spring day; just magnificent for a party in the park. Trevor left nice and early to ensure the best spot at the park was ours. He was successful, which was a load off my mind. That’s the thing about having events in the park, which we so often do, is that you aren’t guaranteed the spot – it’s first in best dressed – which creates a rather stressful build up in preparations. I am just thankful things have worked out in our favour so far. We managed to snag the nice big undercover area with lots of tables, in close proximity to the BBQ and the toilet and of course the big play area.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There is nothing more adorable then watching children in play, and as expected, that is exactly what all the kids did. They had so much fun playing in the wide open spaces of the park; *sigh* what I wouldn’t give for that innocence once more...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If you haven't already guessed, the theme for the party was construction. There were traffic signs around the place, mini traffic cones, truck plates and napkins. The kids loved it but most importantly, Byron was wrapped with how it all turned out. He took note of all the detail…well as much as a four year old could.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Only one party game was played because I just thought kids would want to be kids and make the most of the huge play area (hence the reason I chose the location). I chose pass the parcel. Now, it wasn't any normal pass the parcel; it was an electronic pass the parcel, with remote and all. It was perfect for the out door setting - no need for paper and best of all, no need for music. It was definitely a hit and that was with the parents…the children loved it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I made a point of not revealing the cake to Byron until it was party time. The sheer expression on his face when he first saw it was worth the effort a million times over. He thought it was "cool". I knew he would love it. He especially loved the 4 little digger candles. As mum was cutting the cake and handing it out to all the eager children she was greeted with "can I have some dirt?", "I want some grass", "I want the crumble". At least I know it had the affect I had desired! It's just a shame I never got to try any of the dirt! Maybe next year...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Byron had mentioned in passing on many occasions that he wanted a Piñata for his birthday. He just loved the idea of bashing something up and not getting into trouble for it. He was very excited when he arrived at the party to see a piñata - and a truck one at that. Straight up, he wanted to grab the stick and start the attack. His patience was running thin during the course of the party, when I kept denying him the pleasure… "can we do the piñata now"…we had to wait until the time was right – after the cake! It was just adorable to see all the kids (20 of them) lined up in a line waiting with anticipation at their turn to whack the piñata. 20 minutes later, hundred's of knife incisions to aid in the 'breaking', it was wrecked. The poor stick looked a bit worse for wear at the end!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Byron was a very lucky boy indeed. He received some gorgeous presents - trucks, cars and games to name a few.

It was a celebrated day. Byron and all his little friends had heaps of fun. I tell you what though, I was glad when it was over. I’m glad that’s it for another year *sigh*. No more parks!!!! It will be the new house next year.

If the party wasn’t enough for a Saturday, we had to head out in the late afternoon to a friend's place for a BBQ. We made it home by 9.00pm at which point I crawled into my PJs and straight into bed.

Speaking of bed, I'm buggered. Sunday will have to wait until Monday...

No comments: