Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sore Heart

Hearts are a funny thing aren’t they? Rather strange but in a good way. They are the core to your soul in more ways then one. They keep you alive and they keep you living – by living, I mean living in the sense of love, fulfilment and joy.

Yesterday afternoon my father in law had a heart attack. He came home from voting complaining of chest pains. They (my mother and father in law) went straight to hospital – apparently the cheeky bugger had had chest pains for a little while! At hospital they wasted no time in hooking him up to the machines wherein it was noted he was in the grip of a heart attack and it wasn’t a mild heart attack either. Apparently it was a major one. He is 56 years old!!!

Trevor was in a bit of a state as one could imagine and rushed to the hospital to see his dad. Byron didn’t quite understand what was going on. He wanted to go and see Poppy but sadly that was not appropriate. I stayed home with the kids.

Currently, ‘Poppy’ is doing ok. He is in the ICU hooked up to machines but doing well. He has to stay in for another week for monitoring and tests. Fingers crossed all goes well and he will be home and well within the week.

I pray that things will be ok with Trevor’s dad. He has been through a few health issues this past year – prostate cancer being number one. He got through that, so no doubt he can fight this too. I hope for a speedy recover and that his heart gives him no more trouble.

The one thing I have noticed about getting older is that I worry more about my parents and their mortality. As you get older so do your parents. The thought of something happening to them frightens the bejesus out of me, really it does. I simply prefer not to think such things.

No comments: