Friday, November 30, 2007

My yearning…

You know when you have a yearning to do something different? The type of yearning that consumes your thoughts? Well I do. I’ve had the hunger to learn photography for ages, ever since I discovered natural light photography.

The main reason I’m so keen to learn is that I want to take those striking shots of my children - the ones that capture their spirit. I want to take them myself. I want to capture the moment when I see it, as I see it.

At the moment I have just your normal point and shoot digital camera, although it is a good one and does have manual settings. However, I’m not too sure exactly how it all works. So, I want to learn. I have ordered some books form Amazon.com and hope to receive them in the next couple of weeks; nothing spectacular, just beginner stuff. It’s a start though.

Ideally I would love to get my own Digital SLR but alas the finances don’t quite allow for that just yet. If only Santa could afford one! I also hope to do a course sometime soon – sooner rather then latter – but that will have to fit in with fulltime work, kids and domestic duties. *sigh*

I think it’s important to have a hobby; something of interest other then your children and for me – work! I want to accomplish something; see the final results and be proud of what I have done. Generally speaking, I think I have some artistic talent, although not enough to make me a great painter, sculptor or anything like that; just enough to compliment any photographic techniques I learn along the way.

I was out in the garden this afternoon, playing around with my point and shoot, trying to figure out manual settings, (all while looking at the stuff I printed on the web that I thought might get me through until my books arrive). I shot some photos – they're ok. I did cheat though; I think most of them were shot with the camera’s auto function on close-up mode. If only I had a DSLR – I’m sure I would figure it out faster. Oh well…

We have Lily...





Ok, they aren’t at professional standards but they’re ok. Good enough for the album.

PS. Don’t you love her chub – rolls everywhere (just like her mum! he he he).


PPS
. Photoshop or some sort of editing program wouldn't go astray either. *sigh*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Photo challenges, here we come!! We can do this mate. We'll learn together, and we're going to enjoy it.

Love ya,

K xxx