Tuesday, November 27, 2007

When I grow up...

"...I want to be a police man. When I catch berguulers I will take them to jail. After I be a policeman I’m going to be a road worker and then an ambulance man and fire man. When I get big I will come and visit but I will change my name because Byron is not an adult name..."

Oh the joys. He is such a treasure. That was a snippet of his conversation with me this morning.

I have been somewhat neglectful of my Byronisms of late. He doesn’t come out with the one liners so much any more. Rather, it is stories – full blown narratives about life in his little mind.

He loves bugs. Byron is a bug lover from way back. He can not stand it when he finds a dead bug on the ground being eaten by ants. He hates it. The gentle soul within compels him to move them away from the ants. There is a down side to Byron being a lover of all things bugs and that is, he considers the dreadful cockroach falls within that realm of loveable beetle! Agghh! No matter how many times we tell him they are pests, he still insists on feeling sorry for a dead cockroach he might see around the place. The other morning when I was dropping Byron off to kindy he found a little dead beetle in his kindy room that must have found his way in there and died. Anyway, he saw the bug and said, whilst picking the beetle up and putting it just outside the door, "I’ll just have to take him outside to Heaven".

Speaking of Heaven...this morning on the way to kindy we were listening to the radio when there was mention that someone had died. The following conversation ensued:

Byron: "He will be in Heaven. He will be alive in Heaven"
Me: "Yes, but he won’t be able to come back"
Byron: "Yes he will...he can just catch a helicopter back"

Who am I to shatter his allusion? Theoretically, I should probably correct these things but I don’t want to. I want him to live in hope; sheltered from the cruelty or pain that can come with growing up and living life. There will be plenty of that when he's older.

My day is filled with conversations that are innocent and splendid. I love them. I am blessed to hear them; to listen to his wonderful discussions about the simple things. My treasure...my son.

1 comment:

MrsPfeiff said...

He can NOT be growing up this quickly, surely? Nic, he's so beautiful.

Keep the Byronisms coming - long versions or one liners, I love reading them!!

K xxx