Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day 2007

Today I celebrated my 30th Christmas. I have awoken to the magic that is Christmas a grand ol’ total of 30 times. This is Trevor’s 31st, Byron’s 5th and Lily’s 2nd. It doesn’t matter how much older I get it seems to be as exciting as the year passed although sometimes the focus switches a little. In previous years obviously it was all about me - what exciting things I gave, received and of course who I had the pleasure of spending it with. In recent years however it has most definitely been about my kids. They really are the centre of my Christmas Joy. If they’re happy, I’m happy (which is why Christmas 2006 sucked – Byron had gastro and he was miserable). I get greater joy out of watching the children opening presents then I do opening my own.

This year started later then I expected it would. It was I who woke up before they did to the sound of some children riding their new bikes out side. I looked at the clock and could hardly believe it was after 7.00am. My children aren’t early risers – like the break of dawn – but they are genuinely up by 6.00am to 6.30am. Anyway, I digress. I ended up waking (or being rather loud) so that the kids would wake up. Lily woke up first and then Byron shortly thereafter. With one wipe of his sleepy big eyes he was off and down the stairs. We eagerly followed.

His first words were, “O-H M-Y G-O-D I think Santa has been!!!!”

He was so excited and overwhelmed. Lily thought it was funny and wanted to hop straight on to Byron’s new bike. Opening all the presents was great fun. Even Lily got into the spirit. She opened every one of her presents by herself with a little rip start from me. Byron loved the bike but his favourite present was the very last one he opened which was a talking Scooby Doo plush toy and four Scooby DVDs.

This year Trevor didn’t bother buying me any presents which is a bone of contention but I won’t spoil my lovely entry (let’s just say his wallet got stolen on Friday from his work truck and as he had yet to think of me for Christmas, which is a tad upsetting in itself, he didn’t bother after that because he had no ‘money’ or access to money plus I guess I didn’t just want any old thing for the sake of it). I purchased myself a gift (Nintendo DS Lite) and popped it under the tree. My mum, the gorgeous mum that she is, spoilt me rotten as usual so I most certainly didn’t go without on Christmas morning. I got an emerald necklace, shoes, clothes, a beautiful ‘wishes for my daughter’ trinket box full of 365 wishes, one for every day, one of those digital photo frames, stuff for the new house and um well heaps more - I told you mum was a gem!

After we had finished opening and playing with some presents it was time to get dressed in the new Christmas clothes (we always wear what we get for Christmas) and headed to mum’s for breakfast. Going to mum’s for breakfast is my most favourite thing about Christmas morning. I just love the company and the delectable food. This year was no different. The attention to detail mum gives to the little things – like the table (and the kids table) makes it all the more special.



The food was amazing as usual. There was bacon, eggs cooked so perfectly you’ll compare them forever more to any future eggs you'll eat, tomato, toast, croissants, lamb cutlets, baked beans, mushrooms, fruit and chocolate. It was so scrumptious and set the tone for the day.

After breakfast I played Santa handing out presents from the mound so huge under mum’s 7ft fat tree. Again, we were all spoilt.

Following our very busy morning we came home, dumped the presents, picked up the next lot and headed around to the in-laws to say hello (no food this time). Trevor’s sister and her girlfriend were down from Alice Springs. It was so lovely to catch up with them. We stayed for a few hours, did some presents and then headed off to our next port of call – dinner at my step-mum’s place.

My step brother and step sister were back from overseas so my step mother decided she would like to have a late lunch/dinner at her place this year (she and dad aren't married anymore but we used to do Christmas lunch there every year they were married (13 years) and it was always fun). The company was great as was the food, but geepers, by the end I couldn’t fit any where near the required in take in which is of it self a damn shame.

By the time we got home it was dark and the kids were crazy stupid and tired. It was time for them to go to bed – It's ironic that Byron didn’t even get to ride his new bike on Christmas day given we were so busy. Next year we are having Christmas at our new house so there will be plenty of time for kids to play with their new toys.

I was simply exhausted but alas there was no early bed time for me. I spent the rest of the night trying to get any semblance of my lounge room back it was so over come by gifts.

All in all it was a great day! I’m sad it’s 364 days until the excitement begins again.

I wonder what next year will hold (maybe a half cooked baby *wink* *wink*).

No comments: