Friday, December 21, 2007

My Water Babies

I look back on my childhood and fondly remember the time I spent in the pool. Now we didn’t have an in ground pool or anything but we did have an above ground one for a while which regularly got used. I remember summer holidays and going to the beach. Mum used to make a point of taking us to Amazons Water Park every year when we were younger and it was so much fun. I can only hope my kids have as fond a memory of water as I did. Trev was a great lifesaver back in the day (ie. teens and early twenties) so I guess there’s hope for some talent, especially if genes play a part.

I would say at the outset that for the most part my kids, in particularly Lily, are water babies. I’m not sure why seeing as though we don’t have a pool and the only regular swimming they undertake is at lessons once a week – it must be the genes! Lily has been doing swimming lessons since she was around 12 weeks old. Byron has been doing them on and off since he was around 15 months.

Last Sunday when we were at Byron’s mothers group little Christmas party (when we should have been at the Wiggles) the kids went swimming. Byron had a blast and begged and begged for one very last swim (it’s a small consolation I guess that Byron had fun on Sunday notwithstanding missing the Wiggles). You couldn’t keep Lily away from the water. She tried her dandiest to get there, which is a pretty scary thought when you think about it.

Lily is what I would term a natural. She has no fear what so ever of water and loves (and I mean loves) to swim under the water. She tries as often as she can to pop that head under. She has now taken to diving in the pool from a standing position, which I think is very clever.

Byron is progressing along nicely too. He can now play around in the pool without ‘help’ although constant supervision is a must. His swimming technique has improved immensely over the last year which I am very happy about.

It’s a comforting thought to know that my kids are learning swimming and doing well with water techniques. I guess now I have to make a point of taking them to the beach to get them accustomed to that. I don’t think Lily has even been (naughty, naughty!).

For what it's worth, Lily is definitely one to watch…

No comments: