Friday, December 14, 2007

Monsters, Madness and Scooby Doo!

Byron has a new interest. He likes monsters and spooky kinda things. If truth be told, he has always expressed some interest in all things spooky for as long as I can remember. It took us a whole month after Halloween before he would stop talking about it (and we didn’t do Halloween – it was what he had seen and heard on television).

If he sees monsters in books it evokes discussion. Similarly he will talk incessantly about them if he sees them on TV. Did I mention that he also sees them (or so he thinks) in his room at night – I get the impression he mightn’t be so fond of the ones in the cupboard.

It seems we have found the perfect television show that is akin to his new found interest, and that is Scooby Doo. It was just by chance that we came upon the show. It was a day when the ol’ favourite Spongebob had finished and alas the boy wasn’t happy. There was nothing he wanted to watch on Nick Jnr or Disney Playhouse so we just kept on flicking and came upon the Flintstones (my ol’ fave). He watched happily but regrettably it ended shortly after. We just left the station on and he kept watching with Scooby Doo on next. From that point on, he hasn’t looked back.

It’s the only show that has him mesmerised. He is literally in love. It’s Shaggy this and Scooby that. He talks about the mummies, monsters, and everything in between. He tells us about the plot and sings the theme song. He has loved television shows, like Bananas in Pyjamas, Spongebob and Little Einsteins, but never on this scale. I guess the show just interests him.

In a way it is refreshing that a show made in 1969 can elicit the same type of joy, if not more, than a show created today. I loved Scooby when I was a kid. I remember my brother having Scooby sheets as a youngster.

Whilst we have no downstairs TV (it blew up) he happily sits in our room before bed and watches an episode or 2 (there is 2 straight hours of Scooby at night but he doesn’t know that). I love how he calls out my name, for reassurance that I’m around, when the ‘scary’ bits come on.

Fingers crossed, he enjoys it for years to come, like I did too.

No comments: