Saturday, August 02, 2008

I’m in business!

Woohoo! I had my first ‘real’ client today. My first proper paying client! I went live with my site about 2 months ago now and have been happy to plot along not really ready to leap out there just quite yet. I was still portfolio building to an extent and with working fulltime, running a house (albeit failing miserably at that) and looking after two littlies I didn’t have much time for proper marketing.

These past few weeks however I’ve really been working hard with all my marketing materials - organising business cards, brochures and other bits and pieces. The bits and pieces have started to float in this week and it all looks great. It makes me feel like I’m actually professional. I love it!

On the other hand, it’s all a bit scary really. It’s hard to put yourself out there for the whole world to see – I guess it means that if you fail everyone will know. If you get no clients everyone will know! That’s terrifying actually. At least when your not marketing and you haven’t reached out to tell everyone about you, you’re protected to an extent…there are excuses for not being busy – “Oh I’m not advertising yet” or “I’m just starting out”. Now though, I’ve started putting my brochures out there and well, there are no excuses anymore. It’s really real.

At the end of the day, I do have confidence that this will work; that in time I will be successful. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen (he he he sound familiar!?). I need this to work. I want this to work. I know I can do it. I’ve worked so incredibly hard this past 8 months. It’s just a matter of time. I have time right?!.

Anyway, my client (he he – love the sound of that) today was a word of mouth referral from a friend. I was a little nervous at first but settled in to a good shoot. I’ve only looked at the shots quickly but I think they’ll be happy with the end result.

I guess this means I’m really in business now. Like really!

I have another proper session in two weeks time which is exciting again.

Bring it on I say...

Before I go, because it's been a while, I just had to share some pics of the kids taken before we headed out to Miss Ella's 2nd birthday party this morning. You gotta love Lily's antennas...I'm so excited she is actually starting to get some hair - hair that I can play with!





1 comment:

Melza said...

Well done Nic!

Mel x