Saturday, August 09, 2008

Take off!

Have you ever been the last one to board a flight and consequently have them call out your name over the loud speaker? Gosh it’s embarrassing to say the least. I suppose the whole plane journey started off badly, so it was to be expected I guess.

Bloody Jetstar and their baggage allowance. How the heck do they suppose one mummy can pack for both herself and her toddler, in the middle of winter, in under 20 kgs? It’s honestly not possible. Especially when it’s bloody 8C? So when it came time to check my baggage I guess it was no surprise when it was 9 kgs over the limit or $90 in money terms. To cut a long story short, so long as I could carry one of the bags (which was just above hand luggage size and about 5 kgs) on the flight (along with my camera bag, Lily’s bag and Lily) she would waive the excess 4Kg. Oh how kind of her.

So we checked in fine and then decided we would get something to eat. Apparently we cut a fine line hence the page. It was not a pretty sight seeing me running for the plane with Byron in tow, Trevor tagging along with Lily. We made it – everyone else had boarded – and I had to manage with Lily and my 3 bags all on my lonesome. The damn hostesses could only watch as I struggled to get to my seat and then try and maneuver the bags into the overhead cabin, while all the other passengers were watching. But wait, the embarrassment doesn’t end there…Lily and I were positioned between two big guys so it was honestly too much of a struggle to try and get to that seat so I ended up sitting in the spare isle seat in the next row which I just so happened to find out, in the middle of the emergency exit training no less, that I couldn’t sit there and that I would have to move a few rows back. Talk about embarrassing. It was a relief when the plane finally took off.

The experience with Lily wasn’t too bad. She was generally pretty good. In typical toddler style though, she started to muck up in the last 10 minutes of the two hour flight.

Travelling with children is never straight forward.

No comments: