Thursday, July 13, 2006

Night out...

Trevor and I headed out tonight (yes a Thursday) to watch the "Australian Outback Spectacular". We cashed in our flybuys to get the tickets. From memory we used 10,000 points. The tickets cost around $90 each so I guess for a loyalty program $180 worth of ‘products’ is a good deal . The shows on the weekend sell out quite quickly and I would have been close to giving birth before we could have got in...so a weeknight it was. It was easy for mum to look after Byron and drop him off at kindy the next day, so there were no dramas in the baby sitting department .

I had heard good things about the show from friends who had gone to see it. Trevor was a little cynical about going and thought it would be too touristy. I can say though that it wasn’t overdone and was really quite entertaining. My favourite part was the food; Trevor thought the endless free beer was great (or wine). You also got a free straw hat which was exhilarating – for the tourists anyway .

We started off with a tasty mixed Queensland Salad served with tangy mango dressing. This was followed by barbecue tenderloin beef steak with rich gravy, seasoned with Kakadu plum sauce and served with garden vegetables and Australian Damper ( however there was no butter which was a little disappointing). Then we finished off with traditional baked Pavlova with Queensland berries and country cream. If you wanted, you could have had Bush Billy Tea!


Overall it was a nice entertaining night – except for Trevor’s antics when we got home; that I didn’t do enough around the house, or more to the point that I didn’t prioritise what should have been done . Apparently Byron’s toy corner wasn’t a priority...I would beg to differ. When he got home today, he thought it was Christmas...there were toys that he couldn’t even remember he owned...my favourite comment was over some toy saucepans, "Oooohhhh I can’t believe it...I thought these were lost...I couldn’t find them...here they are!" (All said in this shrill high pitch voice of delight). Unsurprisingly, all my hard work of the afternoon (i.e. to accomplish a clean toy corner) had come undone when he proceeded to pull nearly all his toys out.

No comments: