Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Obstetrician appointment...the plan is...

Well I got my wish...I am having another ultrasound ($$ courtesy of the hospital) on Tuesday, 15 August 2006 at 11.15am, followed by an OB appointment to discuss the findings .

Not a lot was cleared up at the OB appointment today...like I said however, they did book me in for another ultrasound at 36 weeks which is in truth what I hoped to get out of this appointment. We did discuss my concerns with her kidneys as well as her size. Plus, they took the usual ‘vital statistics’ to see that everything is ok.

In relation to her kidneys, there wasn’t a lot more mentioned then what I had already been told by the ultrasound doctor. Really, they need to wait until the further ultrasound. At that ultrasound, they will check her kidneys to see if the fluid retention has gotten any worse. Apparently, (he was telling the student doctor) if it gets worse etc it can cause long term problems with the kidneys. Plus the fact that she is a girl (must be something to do with their makeup) can make things worse i.e. more likely the result of reflux (yes I am a little confused???).

The OB did confirm the baby would have a further ultrasound after birth to assess the situation (I made my feeling known about this...i.e. that I won't be leaving the hospital until its done!!!). Sometimes he said that hormones etc released by the baby can cause the swelling to go down and therefore no further treatment is required. Other times they may require antibiotics (although we didn’t discuss this in any detail).

In speaking to friends about her condition, I have come to realise that it is quite common. I have heard of lots of baby’s having these sorts of problems and most times they are treated with antibiotics and the problem clears up. It is not uncommon for them to be on the antibiotics for up to 12 months which I find a little scary. I am just so grateful that I had the ultrasound at 30 weeks so that I was made aware of her condition. If I hadn’t had the scan (which is the norm), it may have been weeks and/or months following her birth before we became aware of the problem . That’s weeks and/or months of dealing with a cranky, under the weather new born, who unbeknown to us was suffering. I don’t think it would have helped the ‘household’ any.

As for the size he wasn’t really helpful in alleviating my concerns. He said the baby didn’t feel too big. Also, he commented that a baby’s head area is quite pliable so sometimes the scan can be a bit deceptive (that is to say, it depends on what angle the measurements were taken and what shape the head was – he commented that it only takes a centimetre or two to put the measurements right out). He couldn’t really give me an answer when I asked what the rate of growth is for a baby’s head, but noted the average head circumference is around 35cms. They, are not concerned at all by her size...the previous ultrasound didn’t reveal anything abnormal with the brain etc so they don’t think there is anything to worry about (try telling me that). If truth be told, I think I am stressing a smidgen over how big she might be, when really there isn’t any need. I guess, she will be as big as will be and I just have to hope she can fit !!!

As for the vital statistics, they are as follows:

Blood Pressure – 125/85
Cephalic Presentation (head down)
Fetal Heart rate was good (no measurements provided)
Descent – 4/5 ( have no idea what that means at this stage)
• He noted an increase in maternal anxiety (LOL I wonder what that is all about!!)

I guess the plan is now to wait until the completion of the ultrasound at 36 weeks and see where we go from there. In the meantime, I will talk to my GP and see what she has to say.

No comments: