Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Off to the loo my darling...

This week marks my 32nd week of pregnancy and also the stage of my pregnancy where I am getting up at least once a night (mostly early morning) to go to the loo. Yep that’s right, it has begun and from here on in it only gets worse until the very end when I estimate you need to make a minimum of 3 trips per night – oh the joys – makes me reminisce at my happiness of having a catheter during labour with Byron and for 24 hours afterwards :rolleyes:.

The heartburn is still lingering but not so often to cause great inconvenience. Often it rears its ugly head when I go to bed and lie on my right side, meaning over to the left side I roll. Lying on my back has become more difficult over the last week. I find I suffer from shortness of breath – hence why they tell you not to lie on your back. At this stage therefore, my left side appears to be the best option sleepwise.

I had a doctor’s appointment today which confirmed things are going along nicely. We also discussed the issue regarding the baby’s kidneys. She advised she had seen a few babies with the same or similar conditions. She noted that sometimes the condition rectifies itself on birth (as I had been advised by the OB). In response to some of my concerns she advised the following:

Ultrasound (ie. that I will have difficulties getting one done): if it needs to be done, it is very easy for her to arrange an ultrasound outside the hospital.
Antibiotics: she explained the name of the antibiotics (excuse my ignorance for not remembering); that they would in all likelihood be taken for 12 months; she arranges through the PBS scheme for them to be provided in monthly batches, thereby greatly reducing the cost impact.
Worst-case: Lily would require an operation on her kidneys to remove the blockage, causing the reflux. This is a last resort and only considered if and when the antibiotics fail to work.

Here are those good old 'vital statistics' for week 32:

• The all important weight has hit 78kgs. That makes a total weight gain so far of around 10kgs. I don’t even want to consider what it will get to...probably a gain of around 15kgs (oh how scary). It’s a good thing I looked into the gym membership for the new Fernwood opening up near us – I think I’ll need it.
• No abnormalities detected in my urine.
• Blood pressure was 120/75
• Baby still head down i.e. cephalic presentation (good girl!!!)
• Fetal heartbeat continues to remain at 140 beats per minute (good girl!!!)

So as it stands currently all appears well. Next stop is my Anti D injection and midwife appointment at the hospital in 2 weeks time.

On a final note here are some pictures of my belly at 32 weeks. I couldn’t decide which one was more appropriate...see one makes me look small and the other bigger (I guess its all in the camera angle)...


No comments: