Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Engagement Party

I told you yesterday was a busy day - crazy busy!

After the birthday party I had to duck home and get ready for my sister’s engagement party. It was to be a big night out for Trevor and I but alas my in-laws couldn’t watch the kids and well all my family was going to the party so being sitter-less Trevor decided to stay home with the kids. No big night after all. Ok, the sitter-less thing is a little white lie – I did have offers from a few lovely friends to baby sit but it all just seemed too much. Trevor had a big night the night before at the Roar football game so he was more then happy to stay home and that’s what he did.

So, I headed out all on my lonesome (well not really…but you get my drift!).

Did I mention that my sister is marrying a Greek fellow? Those Greeks really know how to throw a party, and a big party at that. If the engagement party is anything to go by the wedding will be a massive extravagant affair I’m sure. The party was at my soon to be brother in laws parents’ place (a nice big place). There were no kids allowed because they had this big pool which is fence less and which was full of balloons you couldn’t even see the water. In those circumstances, I was happy with the ‘no kids’ call. All I kept thinking, when walking past the pool, was how much of a hazard it was (that’s the mother/insurance lawyer in me I’m sure).

Anyhow, I digress…there were around 165 people in attendance, which isn’t really your normal sized party (or at least not for me). It seemed like my sis was forever at the door greeting people and placing massive presents on the floor (don't get me started on the gifts they received - Lets just say I have never - and I mean NEVER - seen such gifts in my life...they were completely spolit).

The party was catered for – a buffet. There was enough food to feed 300 hundred people. From prawns to cold meats, to salads, to Greek cuisine…it was absolutely delicious. There was just as much dessert type food as there was normal food and that was delicious too. Lastly there was wine, and well…that was fantastic!

My sister is getting married in the Greek Church which will be interesting to witness. The priest/father/minister (not sure what he is called) made an appearance at the engagement party to bless the rings which was a nice little ceremony! Whilst I was taking some pictures, my brand new camera lens (which was a replacement for a faulty one) died. It died with the same problem as its predecessor – the auto focus function failed. What are the odds of that? I have to send it back again!

Anyway, I digress yet again. I took heaps of photos of the couple and my family at the beginning of the night. I thought I captured some really good shots. I was of course disappointed when, towards the end of the night, I accidentally hit delete on my card (must have been the wine), realised what I had done and then hit cancel. Alas, it was too late. I had wiped the first half of my photos. I was shattered but thought, albeit slightly, that I might be able to get them with the recovery CD my memory card came with (which ended up working when I got home – yes you read right – there was no way I could have gone to sleep at the thought of having lost all my sister’s photos). The thought that I had lost all the photos kind of put a dampener on part of my evening, that was of course until I started dancing and then I was right!

The party was great and now I am really looking forward to the wedding. Dad ended up hanging around and waiting for me so that he could drop me home. Thanks Dad!

So all in all, it was a great night!

Of course, it goes without saying there were lots of pics...here is a snippet:



The couple



Blessing the rings



Mum and I

One just for dad (who reckons he never gets a mention on my blog). My kids inherited their gorgeous blue eyes from my dad!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You can see Byron in your dad!! Sounds like you had a good night, and aren't dad's the greatest playing chauffer!!